Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Once again this is where blended learning is by far the best way to teach students the subject matter of a course. It applies to almost all types of learning intelligence...

In most of these forums I usually state something, however I really think the Module says it best in this situation when they state, "By looking at the physical aspects of learning, cultural influences and personal strengths a clearer picture can be created of how learning can be maximized. Instructors must use "common sense" in educational planning. Keen observational skills, content competence and a desire to help students will do much to further the learning opportunities for your students and help them achieve their career goals."

Brian,
Well said, especially about the use of common sense. As veteran instructors we have found that common sense and a practical approach goes a long way in providing effective learning opportunities.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Multiple intelligences affect my teaching methodology by recognizing the strengths and tapping into the strengths of my students. Also, comprehending that some students excel in one area and other students excel in another area. Some are roses. Some are daisies. Some are lilies.

Understanding multiple intelligences will be helpful in course development and teaching methodology. However it is hard to do such assessments in accelerated courses. A five week course does not leave much time to do any sort of formal assessment and unless you have had the student previously for another course it becomes very difficult.
I try to use multiple teaching methods throughout the course to maintain student interest and interaction. I also use rewards and bonus points to help those who don't test well to maintain a good average without being stressed about it.

Lisa,
I think your approach is the way to go with the pace of your classes. By you providing a variety of instructional deliveries you are enabling the students to work within their difference learning preferences and intelligences.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I think long as all four learning ways are met in the learning setting then it will be beneficial to all the students not only seeing the learning material in one way but few different ways.

Ashley,
I think this is very important because once they are in the workplace they are going to have to be able to receive information in many different formats. The more experience they have in doing this the better.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

My classes are always very diverse. Therfore I always make sure that I have new information prepared to be delivered in multiple teaching stategies so that no student or learning style is left out.

yes I agree because I see it with my students

I feel that it is very important to learn multiple intelligences, as this will benefit one's teaching tools within the classroom. They will know each students' level of intelligence when/in learning.

Being a visual learner myself I understand how learning can be hindered or improved with different types of instruction. I plan to use different methods that appeal to all the learning styles to be able to at least identify the best processes for students if not help them learn more effectively.

One of things I try to do in my classroom, is include the presentation of the same material in different ways. But mixed with different reinforcement techniques.

The first two days of a three week course, I really work hard at observing my students reactions, body language, involvement and facial expressions when delivering information. By trying different types of delivery methods, I can determine which ones work best. This helps me detect different learning styles of individual students and then I can concentrate on expanding there knowledge.

Don,
It is important to get a "read" of your students and you are doing such with your first two days of observations. This gives you insight into how to develop your instructional strategies and move the learning forward.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Being a long distance instructor (online) and the way that the course is designed, I am limited in the ways that I can use multiple intelligences. In the course design, several of the intelligences are used in the course material to get the subject matter across to the students such as Verbal, Logical, Visual, and interpersonal intelligences.

I think it is important to do an evaluation in your mind of what the multiple intelligences in the room are. Make an inventory in your mind and adjust your presentations based on that observance. Every week or two you should reevaluate and make sure you are hitting the intelligences that the students are able to better understand the material.

The application of learning styles is important, some students learn by looking at, others by hearing, others by reading, and the last group by "hands on". As instructors we have to take advantage of our students learning styles to help them to succeed.

Being able to understand the different ways people process information is vital when planning for instructional delivery. We should incorporate as many of these into every class session to ensure the lesson is properly received by every student.

Using an assessment to determine a student's preferred learning style is good information, but unless each instructor is made aware of the student's preferred learning style in advance of lesson planning and content delivery, the assessment really means very little in the big picture. In an ideal world, students with similar learning styles could be grouped together with instructors using delivery methods that match their learning style. But we all know this is not realistic, and all too often instructors fall back on "canned" lesson plans and delivery methods that may or may not hit their target audience effectively. I have often wondered if final class grades are an accurate measure of a student's capacity to learn the material, or are they a measure of the effectiveness of my ability to instruct my students. A low class average tells me something needs to change.

Sign In to comment