Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Favorite ways to keep class moving

Hello! I am brand new, and will be teaching my first solo class starting with Term 1 (next week). I have some ideas of how to keep the class moving, but from those of you who are more seasoned, what are some of your favorite things to do? Videos? Question and Answer Sessions? Games? Just curious and would love some additional ideas! Thanks!

Hello Marie

I have been instructing for 15 years and my one suggestion is to have the classroom prepared before class, then be at the classroom door 15 to 20 minutes ahead of the bell to start the class.  Meet and greet the students on the way into class everyday! When the bell rings if you see them running for the door hold the door for them. I know that our school managers ask that the students be seated before the bell but this gives them the benefit of doubt the first time. The second time is a reminder to that person that you aren't the doorman and if this was a commuter train or bus they would have missed it.  Third time I am docking them for being late even if they are running.

The next thing that I have always done due to my mentor is when I close the door I give the class a great big GOOD MORNING or AFTERNOON and ask them to repeat back. They have never quite understood my enthusiasm or high energy level but I keep it going all class long.

The other is follow-up, at the end of the course thank them for their contribution to the class. This goes on even after they have left my course, while they are at the school and some times graduated, (FaceBook) let them know that you're available for support, even though you only spent three weeks with them.       

Have a smile on your face.  Take a little time for introduction, overview of the course and encourage students to encourage each other through study groups and explortion of additional resources. Provide a "fun activity or challenge" when possible.

Thanks for the tip.

Reply to Rocklan Kopylec Sr's post: Great suggestions! Thanks! 

Reply to Denise Byerley, R.N.'s post: Thanks! I always forget about group assignments.  I will definitely have to incorporate some of those! 

Reply to Rocklan Kopylec Sr's post:

Good points.  I might also add: getting to know what motivates each of your students so you are able to relate to each student.

I ask each student on day 1, what they want to get out of my class , then explain the most common ways of learning and then ask each student  what method usually works for them. Then after collecting all the answers, i have a guide of how i need to teach my class and generally what its gonna take to keep them interested and involved in the class. I generally find the more "real world" stories I can add to the class really works

MY favorite way to keep a class moving is by throwing some group activities to enhance learning for the other groups. This way they are teaching their class, and I act as the facilitator instead of just lecturing

Group activites, allowing students to work with each other rather than just me providing feedback to them has always been one of my "go to" strategies. It not only helps me as an instructor/facilitator, but the students seem to enjoy sharing their experience + knowledge with one another too.

Sign In to comment