Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

poorer student

why we should offer poorer student less time?

Hello Amgad! I assume you mean "poorer" in the sense of poor academic performance. Offering a poor performer less time to complete an activity can be effective if you modify the activity. For insnce, you could break the activity down into smaller, easier parts for the student to complete. Each part would take less time, and they might be easier to complete. Completing "mini-steps" mgiht be a confidence booster, and it could help the student eventually grasp the overall procedure or concept.

Carey

Talk with the student to provide a clear understanding of what the expectations are along with the time requirements for completion.

@CRW This is a great concept. I have never considered offering a poor performing student less time, or modifying the activity into smaller steps to complete. I believe I will try this next week in class. I am currently teaching a lecture course onground and have been considering how to expand the flipped classroom concepts. I am noticing students bringing technology into the classroom such as smart phones and laptops. I would like to build activities in which they can access and utilize their technology but keep it student centered learning and helping them stay focused and not get side tracked with surfing on the internet. Any suggestions?

@ctorres

I havenot thought about that either, but now when I think about it, it makes sense.  I actually spend more time with a poor performing student, but do break down their work to smaller parts. Most of the time, they need confidance building and more encouragement, which gets boosted when they see that they can finish work quickly.

I agree with Cynthia, it is a challenge to regulate technology (tablets and phones) in onground classes. Sometimes I ask them to log in to their online course content such as Pearson web sites for courses such as Mastering microbiology and work on study modules, but it is a challenge to monitor each one of them as some may be texting.

spending more time with students of lower learnig performace, and giving the a clear understanding will help them to reach their goals.

This is a very good way of explaining something to someone!

Sign In to comment