Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

teaching in lab

trying to keep all the learning styles busy in lab has become a challege. I try and have the student perform the task in front of me to show me the task was done correct. If task cannot be done in front of me I like to see what was wrong. Some get angry some like how I do it.

Frank,

Try letting students observe each other and making observations to each other.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

One challenge in teaching a laboratory course is the amount of students with only 1 professor teaching. Whenever the class number exceeds safe levels I like to add an upperclassman or other faculty member to increase vigilance and offer more opportunity for students to be involved, not to mention a more safe environment. Equipment in sufficient quantity is another daunting challenge.

Linda,

Consider restructuring the lab into groups with upperclassmen acting as group leaders. With a group structure in place all the time the fluctuation in class size will not be an issue when it occurs.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

It often helps if you show them, they do as lab group3-5 and then they do by themself this keeps all busy and helps the one who did not get it the first time.

In the courses I instruct there are generally 26-30 students. As we are working on running diesel engines, safety is of utmost importance, yet I am the only facilitator. Students must be trusted they will do the "right things" while waiting for me to check their work. Does not always happen.

ray,

The group part probably helps the most. Students teaching others retain more.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Roy,

Is there a handout outlining each step? Or are you relying on their memory from the lecture or demonstration?

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Even with a handout the student/facilitator ratio shouldn't be that high. Most of today's students have little or no hands-on experience in their chosen field. Lack of facilitators causes a back-up in the lab. Students rightfully get frustrated.

David,

Assign leaders in groups. Give the students accountability for each other. This will help. They will get each other through.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

I try to have one student as a group leader. that helps ceek them in line with whats going on.

I try to break the lab groups down so that there is a mix within the groups of students that have different learning styles and if possible different learning abilities so they will have a good mix of timing and responsibilies.

Scott,

The different learning styles complement each other in this group setting.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

I also have students perform tasks in front of me when possible. This allows for positive evaluation of the tasks.

In my course, I tend to show them what to do in a large group (instructions and demos) and then discuss what they are doing in smaller groups after they have all started. I find it helps them pick up on certain concepts faster.

Anthony,

Students working in groups helps to make the learning experience more interactive and engaging. Students learn well from each other.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Students tend to fill the same role in their lab group. I find that sometimes you have to push students out of their comfort zone so they get the full lab experience.

Martin,

Yes, Try pairing students if you have not done so. Let them assess each other. Provide guidelines for doing so.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

With lab work on computers I always have them
team in pairs and section what has to be done
it provides a very structured environment

After a few tries on their own, I usually get involved with the proper way to do a project. They realize that they are not as proficient as they thought they were.

Sign In to comment