Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Boosting Competency-based Training

I like to interject unique repair experiences and anecdotes from my years in the field into my lectures to form a more cohesive connection between what the students are learning and what they may expect in the field. They seem to pay more attention in lecture, retain a higher percentage of their study material and are excited to go out to the lab and put their new-found knowledge to work.

Rich,

Your personal experiences are what the students want to hear about more than what's in the textbook. It does build a string connection to you and the school.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

I agree that the students want to hear personal experiences, along with the given course material. It enhances their learning experience and makes it more memorable.

Telling personal stories about what goes on in a shop can open some eyes about safety. There is nothing better than showing video of what happens when safety measures are not followed and damage to personal property or people results. Also demonstrating a good shop practice for accomplishing safe measures in doing a job is key. When we don't take the time to show these kinds of things, we may leave the learner less than confident they can perform a task fully because they are afraid of it from a safety point of view, and do not learn all they can.

Phillip,

Showing the real world consequences is a strong reinforcement for safety. It is also very enlightening when one follows instructions instead of jumping in feet first with no forethought.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Sign In to comment