Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

questioning in the night class

I use a lot of questions in my class mostly to keep them involved. I have a night class and by asking a lot of questions they stay "TUNED IN" they never know when i might call on them.

Choppy,

At that time and after they have probably had a full day at work, it is a good idea to keep them interactive. A lecture would surely put them to sleep.

Judy Mohammed

Of course I think during lecture, regardless of class time (I've taught morning and night classes) that it's important to ask questions at regular intervals or even sparatically both to keep students involved as well as reinforce the information being presented.

Matthew,

I use questioning frequently in classes. It encourages critical thinking and keep students alert.

Judy Mohammed

I totally agree. I typically use a variety of techniques when teaching night classes.

Said,

We need to utilize the techniques to keep them alert, a hard task, but I'm sure you keep them interested.

Judy Mohammed

Excellent observation. I, too, teach day and night courses, and I have observed a distinct difference in my "audience" between the time periods. Asking more questions, or providing more activities for students to tackle, is useful in every class at any time, but I can see the case for design/delivery modifications based on the time of day and audience.

One method I have used in the past is to assign students to not just read the chapter, but bring to class a list of at least five questions to ask each other as a review of the reading. I require that students already know the answer so they can explain what they found or expand on the responses after their classmates have taken a turn at answering the question.

Dan,

This is an excellent way to have students prepared to engage in classes. Night and day classes are certainly different, but then again, so are each of my classes.

Judy Mohammed

Sign In to comment