Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Closed questions vs. open questions

In my field of Culinary Arts most questions asked in the classroom are closed questions where students are required to memorize information such as measurements, recipes, and techniques. This is especially true in the beginning classes. As the students get farther along I am afforded the opportunity to incorporate more open ended questions such as how does this recipe relate to foods that you were exposed to growing up. I think there is a need for both types of questions in our field.

At my college, I teach measurements between different systems (metric vs. non-metric). I find that, even in such a rigid subject, there are many open questions. For example, I might ask why metric is not often used in the United States, except in fields like medicine. Then I might ask which system students prefer and why.

In the Medical field most questions asked are closed questions in which the students are required to memorize the information, especially when we are covering Medical Terminology. I feel that both open and closed questions should be asked to get the students involved and to keep their interest.

Trina,

This is true. During production, you may ask questions like, β€œ How have you seen this done before?” or β€œCan this be done using other methods?” I enjoy finding out what my students know and even learning from them.

Judy Mohammed

Benjamin,

These are excellent open questions. I'm glad you plan them into your lessons,

Judy Mohammed

Nicole,

I agree with you and there are many ways that you can phrase open questions, even in the medical field.

Judy Mohammed

I agree, In the field of Medical Billing & Coding ,the material you are presented with has to be read and memorized so questions are primarily closed questions.

I agree! I am an instructor in the medical field and when teaching I use a combination of both open ended and closed ended questions. I believe it is appropriate in order to make sure they are learning the how to steps, but having them then have the opportunity to explain why.

Radha,

Sometimes though, open questions may contribute to discussions about why you use cetain codes.

Judy Mohammed

Rebecca,

This is good - to utilize a combination of diverse questions.

Judy Mohammed

Wow it is great to hear so many responses from the medical field, I teach baking and patisserie, so we have lots of open and closed questions, since I teach the advance classes, there is lots of individual creativity involved, so each student has a different interpretations on the same topic.

Norma,

Great! Which do you prefer to use, open or closed questions?

Judy Mohammed

I am really not a big fan of closed questions. There is a time and place for them, but you get very little back from closed questions. Open questions you can see the students really thinking before they answer.

Robert,

Absolutely! I use closed questions when I want bring the class's focus back or when I have little time.

Judy Mohammed

I am interested in examples of more open questions geared toward students less comfortable with math, involving the required understanding of measurements.

Craig,

Perhaps you can ask why is it important to have specific measurements or compare and contrast diverse measurements.

Judy Mohammed

As with what others have added, in our school, during a lab debrief for instance, closed questions are used to quickly review what should have been found out and answered during the exercises, but then open ended questions are used to gauge comprehension. This is when the 'Why?, and What next? and What were the causes? questions come out.

Peter,

You are absolutely correct. Closed questions work better in a lab debrief.

Judy Mohammed

Sign In to comment