Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

moving around in the classroom

being comfortable in your classroom will make your students comfortable too

I have been mobil during lectures for a long time.
Along our walls we have static displays and equipment for hands on work, I move to whatever is the subject.
When I am repeating material, mainly for those in back who move into back seats first day to hide, I am towards them, they are the ones who need the repetition. While at the back of the room. conversation of their important matters and texting stops (some times with a hint to turn it off.
I found being mobil during class helps my knees.
My years in heavy industry and as a firefighter took a toll on my knees. If I am stationery to long they are stiff for a few minutes.

I agree, making the students comfortable is key. When the learning enviroment is at ease, the student are more receptive, once that is done moving around the classroom keeps the students attention.

Hi Candis!

Absolutely! Moving around in the classroom is engaging for most students and can provide a memory opportunity for students. When and where an instructor pauses to make a point can be a memory jogger moment.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED106 Facilitator

Hi Jim!

Moving around is good for all concerned! I like the static displays where you can reenforcem learning.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED106 Facilitator

I always enjoy walking around the classroom. It keeps the student alert. I've done lectures where I'm sitting down and some have fallen asleep. (Not because of my lecture) But when I've walked around I've noticed they are more alert of my movements preventing them from resting their eyes.

I am mobile in my classroom as much as possible. Sometimes the set up of the room makes that difficult, particularly as a handicapped instructor. It keeps the students in back engaged and as an instructor, you are able to monitor conversations that may lead to questions for everyone.

Thanks James for your comments! You obviously recgonize that an instructor/facilitator place a very significant part in students' learning successes.

Keep up the good wokr!

Jane Davis
ED106 Facilitator

Hi George!

Moving around keeps us all awake and alert. It also helps us make that one on one connection with our students.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED106 Facilitator

Moving around the classroom communicates the message that every student is part of the group. It helps energize the class and aids the students in focusing on the content or discussion. It is a valuable aid in classroom management and assessment. Great benefit can be achieved from changing the teaching "zone."

I believe that moving around the classroom during lecture and production time is very important. During lecture it becomes much easier
to have eye contact and monitor the body language of the students. This involvement will make it easy for the instructor to adjust the lecture to keep the class fun and engaging.

Moving around the classroom help the studnets to focus. Lectures appears to be exciting bcasue the instructor cannot sit down. It also demonstrates the importance of the lecture.

Due to a technology equipment issue, I have been
unable to be at different points in the room during lecture. I now have that problem solved and not being in the front of class consistently I think incorporated your being part of the class better. It also helps with student/faculty
interaction.

i always move around when I lecture, to keep my student focus and alert, sometimes I aske them to move around or come write something to the board, to "wake them up" if I notice they are loosing interest...

Hi Teresa!

Moving around absolutely helps students stay focused and helps the instructor connect with students as well.

Would you please explain what you mean by lecture or do you mean facilitation?

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED106 Facilitator

Good for you Hubert!

Being able to move about the classroom challenges students to stay focused.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED106 Facilitator

I understand that moving around in the classroom for certain courses is good. This will help keep the class engaged. However, what about courses such as keyboarding? I think too much moving aroud by the instructor will be a distraction to the students.

Greetings Cynthia!

Very good point! I think it's at the discretion of the instruction as to how much movement is appropriate.

Good job!

Jane Davis
ED106 Facilitator

Moving around also lets them know you are including them in the class lecture.

It is important in a career college setting to keep students involved at every level, and I have found that one way you can involve each student is by your physical presence near them. It also encourages students who are not paying attention to become involved in the discussion or activity.

JoAnne O'Fallon

Sign In to comment