Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Making eye contact to keep the "chatterboxes" quiet.

I have found that if you make contact with those students who will not stop talking amongst themselves, again and again, they finally get the point and do not want that attention.

Hi Ronna!

As I float through the room, I will end by their sides and draw them into the conversation. After I've done this a few times, I find they begin to focus and offer feedback.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED106 Facilitator

making eye contact 2 to 3 sec.

This is certianly a good way to keep them quiet. They are so distracting and it is amazing when they are quiet - like a different class!

This practice makes sense, I do find it effective.

I agree that eye contact is good for the chatter boxes and I also use an exercise to change seats in the class and use numbers to put them in groups so that they are separated

i had mixed success with that sometime you just have to talk to them in private

Asking those chattery students specific questions during the lecture can get them involved and interrupt their OT conversations as well.

I walk over to them, stop the class and wait. It makes them uncomfortable and draws attention from the rest of the class. Probably not the P.C. way to do it but it is very effective.

Agreed. One class I have has chatterboxes in there and one student asked a relevant question that I sought to explain and said that what she asked may be a test question. The class was borderline silent and paid attention. If it continues I may think of giving a pop quiz.

Sign In to comment