Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Instructor body language influcening students

The way we carry ourselves has a definate impact on the student. I pride myself with leaving any personal matters at home, and enagaing the the student the most positive body language and mamerism's.

It is very important for instructor to have proper body language. There are lots of non-verbal cues that our students pick up on.

I agree, I often set the students around me during discussions to show that I am on the same level as them. I think that to often instructors take the power trip route.

Our body language, even unconsciously speaks volumes. This can be the first impression our students receive from us so I believe we need to be conscious of our Auras and project ourselves in a positive manner. Our students will respond accordingly for the most part.

I agree. How we feel and how positive we are really effect what we put out to our students. I always ground myself before a class and leave any stress or negativity outside of the classroom. Its not always easy, but it works.

shari,
so true. Too many people are not aware of this & then can't understand why they are viewed as unapproachable.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

The students are looking at you most of the day so you should alays maintain good bady language

Latasha,

and we need to make sure that our nonverbal agree with our verbal communication.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I also like to gather the students around me and move from area to area, within the group. this makes for a more relaxed learning environment and allow me to be up close and personal.

Karl,
and this in turn can encourage the students to ask more questions & really engage with you in the learning.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Wow, of all the CEE s that I have completed, this has been the most informative so far. I try to carry myself as professional as I can and create a great environment for the students everyday. There were items in this CEE that I never thought about before. I will not be able to incorporate everything I learned at once, but it will be a working progress to improve my classroom presence.

Rodger, this is something I've never thought to try, sounds interesting. I hold a professional line between student and instructor. When giving lessons on the power point I do not call them lectures I say they are presentations. Reason, to invite them into the conversation and hear their point of view. At the end of the week I'll have a sit-down to talk about the class so they may give feed back. I do not want to give the impression that I'm not approachable.

Rick,
and that really is the mark of an effective instructor as you try to slowly & gradually improve your teaching methods & approach.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

the way we carrie are self is important and can leave a class lost and not wonting to be there so I alwas try to be out going every day .

Body language and interaction with the students shows passion for the subject being taught. An instructor that stands in one place all the time and does not make eye contact with their students will loose control of the classroom environment very quickly.

students come to class to learn a particular subject matter, they are not there to listen to how tired you are, how you and your wife had a fight, etc...
As an instructor you have the responsibility to make sure your students learn and have fun while thay are learning. If mit is boring or not fun, don't expect your students to get muchn out of the class. You must show that you are enjoying teaching or the students are not going to learn. make it fun for the students to come to class or they won't

Thomas,
so true, the more excited I am about the topic, the more willing the students will be to listen to what I have to say.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Alonzo,
great comment & post! As professionals we must learn to set ourselves aside & engage with the students; we are an example to them even in this.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

We can't just pinpoint body language as something that influences students. We must realize everything we do influences our students. From the way we dress, how we smell, our speech, how friendly we are, are we open for questions, our grooming, attitudes, etc during this learning experience. We must be inviting, dressed appropriately, thorough and positive in our approach and delivery...they are always watching!

At first I surprised at how much instructor body language impacts student learning. After reviewing this section it immediately dawned on me how many times a called out my eye rolling. Usually this happened as a humorous thing but it did make me more aware.

Sign In to comment