Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Approach to a Learner Under the Impluence?

Hello, just want to get some feed back from all of you out there. I experienced last term two of my student come to class under the impluence of Alcohol. I dont drink, or not yet experienced being drunk, so I dont really know how they feel, under the influence of Alcohol or drugs? How would approach this tyoe of Learner? I try to talk to one of them, and he wen "ballistics' on me, that I have to take him to my Dean for councilling. Just want hear you feed back?

I think that you did the right thing.

I think what you did was right. Sometimes we as educators have to analyze a given situation in the 'heat of the moment'. The most importanat thing right after is that we hold our composure and follow what is set forth by the rules and regulations of the institution.

Good morning Said!

You had exactly the right approach! Anyone who is a threat in anyway to you and/or your class should be immediately removed. In those situations, I would encourage you to get security involved just as an extra precaution.

Good job!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

While certainly this is the right course of action when you know that the student is drunk in class (the odor of alcohol is easy to spot, as are the symptoms of drunkenness), and especially so if that student is being disruptive, other cases are more...subtle...

I have a student in one of my classes this term who, I suspect, is coming to class directly after smoking marijuana. His eyes are red, and he seems quite slow; after explaining relatively simple software operations three times each (with different learning styles addressed in each), as we move on to the next step, he will ask how we did the operation that we just completed (and just completed three times, for that matter).

While I suspect that he is high, I don't know. Any thoughts on how to broach the subject?

Sign In to comment