Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The accerlated learning enviorment

Being that our program is just 30 weeks in duration,and considered an accelerated program, it is critical that the student attend all scheduled classes.

Ted,
and I'm sure getting some of the students to see this as vital is probably challenging.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I teach classes that are 12 weeks long. Each class roll into the next class. I have found having former students attend the classes as guest speakers is vital. They typically explain how the information is needed for the next level of learning, and if they don't get the information, how damaging it can be.

laura,
this is a great idea as it helps the current students stay focused & engaged & keep their eyes on the bigger picture.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

This is extremely beneficial. Not only does is reinforce what you're teaching but having a positive relationship with former students helps gain the current students trust. It also boosts the confidence of the former students to know you have trust in them to help with your current class.

Attendance is something I've struggled with in my classes. I teach GenEds at a career college, and have to pack a full 4 credit hour course into 5 weeks. Missing even a single class can be detrimental to a student's progress. It's difficult to keep students engaged when they've missed material from previous classes, and it's not practical to put a class on hold to catch up a single student.

How can they be encouraged to keep up on their own?

As many as they can!! Missing just one class will put a student behind, and they will never get lecture time back.

It is really necessary to be present in all scheduled classes but it is known to everybody that one or two will not be able to prefect the attendance. For learners who know that they will be absent on a particular day I make it a point to talk to me and give them advance reading materials. At least they will be able to catch up with the next class.

Sign In to comment