Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

teaching in accelerated progam

Taking this course made me realize what I was having trouble dealing with. I can be an expert and still be learning. Now taking this course helps me to play that role. I can be your instructor and also learn. I have advised my students that there are different ways in learning you just need to keep an open mind. I had shut mine and now I can have an open mind and learn while I am teaching.

Being an expert in your field is important to be able to express the the small things in an important way for the understanding to the student.Also, in doing this the instructor learns more of their product.

James,
yes, the more we know about a subject, the more practical we can be with it.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Hello James,

I teach several courses, but really excel at teaching one because I have practical experience in the field. At the present time I teach five classes. Mental Health for Practical Nursing, Mental Health for Registered Nursing, Pharmacology I and Pharmacology II for Registered Nursing and Transition for LPN to RN. I excel at both Mental Health classes as it is what I worked with in the field. However, I learn something new everyday through reading articles, the news, and changes in law from state to state. It is very exciting to have the students work on something that I too have just recently learned as they bring more information and sometimes new information to me about some topics.

Thank you for sharing.

I agree, Laura. Having experience in the topic you are teaching allows you to feel comfortable with it and to be able to share examples and stories from the field. I also agree with you that it is important to keep up with all the current research available to be able to bring this to the classroom.

I agree fully. When you can see it thru the eyes of someone else helps a ton.

I agree , knowledge in the area you are teaching is very important, but also each day you spend in the class room will also give you extended knowledge in how to run your class room, how to interact with your students and be able to identify each student's weakness and strengh. Each day is a learning exprience. This is why teaching is a career not a job

A VAldez

Having knowledge in the course you teach certainly helps the teaching process and helps to make you feel comfortable in the class room. Many of of are experts in our field that we teach but don't let our heads get so big that we think we know it all. I have been teaching for twelve years and claim to be an expert but learn from my classes everytime I teach them.

Richard,
yes, the subject matter knowledge is key & helps with credibility, but as you point out we want to demonstrate that we continue to learn as well.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

thing in todays world change so often can one really claim their an expert?

I teach a twelve week Phlebotomy program and as much as I think I know and as much as I learn form every student and class I realize every day that there will be at least one question that I cannot answer. I love when that happens because it gives me the opportunity to learn somethng new. When the question presents itself I will either stop what we are doing and as a class we look for the answer or we look for it when the nearest opportunity presents itself and then when I go home I do more research and present it the next day putting it in context. The students are better off for it and so am I. I love being an instructor as much for what I learn every day as for what knowledge I can pass on.

Sign In to comment