Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

TESTING STUDENTS ON CLASS MATERIALS

i THINK WHEN INSTURCTORS MAKE UP THEIR OWN EXAMS IT HELPS STUDENTS UNDERSATAND AND LEARN WHAT WAS BEING TAUGHT IN CLASS

Hi Leslie- Thanks for your post to the forum. I also prefer to construct my own tests. That way I know that what I am assessing is what I taught in the class. If my class was based on the competencies that were set for that class this shouls be the best fit. Best wishes for continued success in your teaching career. Susan

What is your opinion of publisher's test engines?

Hi Joseph - thanks for your post to the forum with a good question. Frankly, in my opinion, it depends on the publisher. Some have better test banks than others. I NEVER use bank questions without reviewing them first. Are they well worded? Do they accurately reflect the matreial that is being taught? Best wishes for continued success in your teaching career. Susan

Thanks for your response. I think I have been using them as a crutch. With so little time in my schedule I have been letting the computer do the work. I now will spend the extra time to review each question manually.

You're welcome Joseph - I know how time can be such a problem! Susan

My chief preference for tests is that they be reflective of the material covered in class. I also find it helpful to review past results of tests to see what questions students have missed and consider this when deciding whether to use these questions in future tests.

Earnest J. Kendall,MSN,RN-BC

I happen to agree with Leslie on this one. I do not like to give the student all of their tests from test banks because sometimes essay tests are needed. Over use of multiple choice questions allows the students to guess. I want to know that they really understand the concept that we have learned and that way they can apply it. I like making them think!!

I also agree with Leslie; by preparing for the class I am able to weed out information that might be outdated or not important in the topic that we are learning. By creating the test, I am able to teach information that is pertinent and gage the students'knowledge on that information.

I too like to construct my own test based own what it is that we have discussed in class. I believe the test banks are there for instructors to choose questions from that reviews information that was taught in class. I also like to switch it up and try to match question styles with learning styles of my students.

Hi Kimberly- Thanks for your post to the forum. Your strategy for creating assessments is excellent! Best wishes for continued success in your teaching career. Susan

When you test your students on class materials, it will also teach you to understandyour students weak and strongs ppoints.

When an instructor prepares their own tests it allows students to be tested over material covered. When tests are already prepared, it is possible there are questions asked and the material has not been covered. When an instructor prepares their tests it also allows them to address their students learning styles.

Hi Kanidrus- Thanks for your post to the forum. I also prefer to use my own tests for the reasons that you cite. Best wishes for continued success in your teaching career. Susan

In addition to my quizzes and tests, I have students develop an a card system with question and answers. It also helps them with future studying.

I totaly agree. It shows me and them what needs to be worked on. This way I know what I need to review so they can grasp that material.

I like to use test banks as a good starting point. It keeps me grounded in what was covered in the book ... but I change/expand some of the questions to cover the additional lecture material.

Hi Kevin, Thanks for your post to the forum. Yes, test banks can be really helpful, but, as you state, we need to "tweak" them to be sure they assess what we have taught. Best wishes for continued success in your teaching career. Susan

Susan Polick

Yes this is very true because when you teach a lesson then you go to examples which would follow up on the lesson being taught and the students would gain a better understanding of the lectures. And when instructors make their own exam they know exactly what to test their students on.

I am in agreement with writing my on test, because, i can assess the areas of skills, I need to develop with the students.

Sign In to comment