Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Using student self-assessments as learning tools

How can student self-assessments be used effectively in career college settings?

I think it gives the students the ability to get involved.

I beleive it helps the instructor to know where each individual student is at in their learning ability. It opens the door for us to teach to the differnt learning styles.

It helps both the student and instructor see where the student thinks that are at that point in time. It offers insight into the student's perceptions of their own skill/ability.

It allows the instructor to know where their students are at when they enter the course. Knowing this information would give me a good range of what the students already know and where they might be deficient in some skills. I think it also draws the student in to give them an investment in their own learning process. It allows both the student and the instructor to see how far they have come at the completion of a course as well. Knowing which skills are improved (or not) over a course can allow me to make any needed adjustments for the next course.

Hi Krishna - I agree that it is essential that instructors use the results of assessments to also assess themselves and make adjustments to their teaching when necessary. Best wishes - Susan

it helps us truly see where the students learning is

I think student self assessment can be a great tool in assessing the level of the diversity of the students. It can chalenge the instructor to explain things from a different perspective than what he/she is used to.

In culinary I often ask the student what they think could possibly be wrong and/or better with their final product for evaluation. It really helps the student to self asses their own work, which someday out in the industry they will have to do. It also helps to reinforce to the student what could have been done better because they have noticed on their own before grading.

Student self assessments are similar to using a pre and post test before any instructional lecture. It captures the knowledge base prior to a class and at the end of a class demonstrating any growth the student may have accomplished along the way.

Hi Loren- Thanks for your post! Self assessment is a very useful tool and as you point out, something they will need to do throughout their career. Best wishes - Susan

I can see using the self assessments particularly when students feel overwhelmed by the information. Sometimes it is so much they think they aren't learning anything.A self Assessment would let them see this.

I completely agree. An instructor can also look for patterns in students assessments to help critique himself and improve on his own teaching skills.

What about honesty? Can a student be expected to evaluate his own shortcomings or failure to comprehend material?

My students normally present indidual work to me on a daily basis. I assess the work but keep the assessment to myself. Before I tell them my thoughts and critique, I ask them to self critique first. They normally think I want to hear what went wrong with the project, so, I try to start off with: what did you like about this? From there we can discuss why something went right, so there is an understanding of the proper technique; and why something went wrong and how to make corrective action the next time around.

I agree wholeheartedly in using the self assessments especially when it is obvious that students are overwhelmed with the information. Sometimes it appears that they aren't sure about what they're learning, but in reality they are retaining a lot and this is one way of assessing it.

It seems that they need to reflect on themselves to see what they need to work on as well as what is working for them. I like to include self assessment questions at the end of the mid term examination. They can identify what they need to work on, study habits, learning preferences, and include suggestions for me on how to better help them individually.

I am already aware of their abilities to take quizzes and tests. If it is a habitual problem with assignments and studying then I wouldn't expect them to rate themselves very high. If they do, you might question whether they are being true to themselves. Either way, you can clear it up during assessments time.

to show students the area or areas that they have mastered or where they need more training

Hi David - Thanks for your posting to the forum! I really like the idea of asking your students to assess themselves. It really puts the student more in the mode of taking responsibilty. Instead of "He gave me a "D" " it will be more like "I earned a "D" because....."
Best wishes - Susan

Sign In to comment