Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

HChris - I agree, self-assessment questions give students a chance to think critically about their progress. They can also,as you mention, give us valuable feedback. Susan

Hello,

Student self assessment can be extremely effective because it shows the student what areas they need to improve in and their strengths and weaknesses

Hi Alicia - Welcome to ED 103! With self-assessment the student is arriving at the information themselves which I find often makes them more accepting of what they find. Best wishes for continued success in your teaching career! Susan

I like the idea of self assessment and have used it often , mostly the students do a very honest assessment of their skills and knowledge when it is about themselves, so it is always a good guideline to see if they are progressing well with the course and information. The self assessment if done regularly will detect in good time ,any problems the students may be having and get them back on track with the rest of the classs.

HI Ricardo - Thank you for your post! I agree that students are usually honest if not a bit negative about themselves. Best wishes - Susan

Hello all;
My students just took an assessment in Learning styles it's built into our online course. They found out how they learn best and what style they seem to belong to. I think it helps them use study skills better and the feedback is so amazing to them.
Marcia

HI Marcia- That's great news! Knowing why they learn the way that they do will really be helpful. Best wishes - Susan

Ann's answer is very good and it also lets the student really think about how they are progressing in the class. I hopefully they will feel that they can talk to the instructor for advise on how they can improve.

HI Susan
Yes I am right now grading their online papers about the Learning styles assessment. They are amazed sometimes at the results.
Many of them are kinesthetic learners and will have to do some jumping through flaming hoops to assist the learning process which is all online. I really don't know what to suggest but there are built in suggestions like balancing books on your head while reading online! (Or the flaming hoop:))
Thanks again Susan for your wonderful support.
Marcia

HI Marcia - You are welcome! ( Loved your visuals!) Susan

We have workbooks that go along with our chapters but at the end of the wookbook lessons we have "built in" reading through this I will be working it in my classrooom evaluations and assessments.

it helps student involvment

It gives the students a way to identify points that they could use help with, before it becomes a bigger issue.

I think the students like these since it gives them a sense of responsability. It really helps them to own their education.

There are a few great ways to use self-assessments. One great way to have students complete a learning styles inventory and write what they learned about themselves. Short educational quizzes are also a great way to expand a discussion or to use as a basis for a paper. For example, I teach business and communication courses. Students can take an assessment over listening and write about their finding.

Lacey Finley

I use self-assessments when students hand in their writing assignments. Usually, depending on the scope of the assignment, I will ask them 3-5 questions such as: 1.) What is your strongest paragraph? Why do you believe this is your strongest paragraph? 2.) What is your weakest paragraph? Why do you believe this is your weakest paragraph? 3.) What is your thesis statement? Did your thesis change as you drafted your paper? If yes, how so and how did the rest of the essay change based on your new thesis? 4.) Do you feel that you have proven your thesis? Explain.

If they are working on a research paper, I will have them evaluate the process/progress they are taking/making. I will ask them where they found their best sources, how they plan on using their source material, and what areas they feel like they may need more information to support their thesis.

Having students evaluate their progress or their own writing is a way for me to get added insight into how they go about completing their assignments. Plus, it helps me see what they are thinking when it comes to their own writing.

I can then respond to their writing assignment as well as their self-assessment answers. Many times students are a bit more hard on themselves in these assessments, and it gives me the opportunity to let them know that they are making progress even if they feel like they're stuck.

I can see older students constantly using self assessment but it seems difficult to get younger students to take part in accurate self survey.

By having the student explain the knowledge they have received and understand helps the instructor deliver the course material more effectivly.

In a Class Critique of assignments, students can be asked to talk about their work and evaluate it verbally. What could they have done better or what aren't they totally satisfied with in the project and why? And inversely, what are they most pleased with about their assignment and feel they did well on?

Hi Justin - I also like to have students self-assess. It's something they will need to do in the workplace and makes them more willing to "go the extra mile" in future projects. Susan

Sign In to comment