Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

redirecting a question

I find this to be very helpful to get the students to start thinking.when a question is ask, I will ask the class who can answer it or who has another idea about how they would answer it.this way it can introduce many different concerns into the conversation.

Agreed. Redirecting the question back to the class also allows the teacher to learn how the class might be approaching a particular subject about the class material. This helps me determine how I present my materials to the class in the future since every group of students are different.

I agree by redirecting a question brings out alot of different idea and really gets the class thinking.Sometimes it takes this to get the ball rolling on certain subjects.

Sometimes just the way I introduce a question will invoke questions from the class in order to reemphasize a perticular point. Quite often it is an intentional Question.

Yes Sir,I agree that not only discussing all answers that students have submitted but, how they got to the answer they have. If it's right or wrong!

Exactly, Jay! Sometimes having your students explain why they think an incorrect answer is correct can reveal where they either are misinterpreting info or just did not get it right in the first place.

Try having the student answer his/her question by using resource materials available to them in the class. This will train them to do some research before looking for the easy way out (asking the instructor). Further, this technique will prepare them for obstacles ahead of them in their career when questions arise.

Hi Ralph- Thanks for your post! I agree, too often we give our students the "easy out" by just giving them the answer. It is so much more effective if we give them the tools to find the answer on their own. Best wishes - Susan

Redirection--why didn't I think of this before? Too often I assume I'm the only one who can answer a student's question--now I will consider throwing the question out to the class.

Sign In to comment