Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Lecture Formats

I am all to familiar with the standard lecture, passive student listening format. I throw out questions to get an interaction, but I like the concept of maybe basing my lectures around a fundamental problem to be solved by the class. Perhaps, implementing multiple mini lectures as a means of steps to solve the problem.

Like you mentioned, I think any lecture should involve the students actively. Throwing out questions and bringing up problems within the lecture help keep students involved. Also including short demonstrations help too. Mix it up is what I say. And if you see that student are no longer mentally "there". Take a short break, make everyone get up and move around or go for a drink. (non-alcoholic of coarse)

Hi Mike,
You expressed well the approach instructors need to take with their classes. You point about keeping the students engaged in the learning process is a good one. Sometimes you have to just stop, let them regroup and then start again. If they disconnect from the learning process then you have become just a talking head that isn't doing anyone any good.
Gary

This sounds great I am going to try it.

The lecture is the form of instructional delivery ,communicating with each other ,to be a good lecturer is the challenge how to be a little all of these.

I find that INTERACTIVE LECTURES have been the root to the success of my students. This process not only allows for brainstorming, but also it gives individual students an opportunity to demonstrate their understanding of the subject matter.

I need to cover a greal deal of content in my classes, so rely on the lecture. I agree with you, Tim, that mini-lectures might be helpful and would break things up a bit. Planning these might also give me another way of organizing the material. I'm going to have to try this.

Sign In to comment