Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Names

I have trouble remembering names. Any helpful hints?

Hi, Tara,
I find names difficult also, expecially when I have two or more with same first name, so I have come up a visualization that works for me.
Currently I have 5 students with the same first name, J---. J--Z-- has a new baby so she does not get many zzzzzzzzzz's at night. J--H--reminds me of a Hershey Bar (candy), etc. If someone has an especial hair-do, glassess, etc., I find a "comment" in my head to go with that to remember the name. Sometimes you see a student who looks like one of your friends or family, and you find a way to plug that together.
Hope this helps. I know one way does not work for all of us. This way helps me.

Mabel

Tara,
Use an ice breaker the first class meeting that has you interacting with each student as well as having them share something about their lives. Take the fact(s) they share and connect them with their names. This will help you create an image between each student and his/her name. Also, you can use name tents on their desks the first few class meetings to help you recall each student's name as you get to know. Another way is to use a seating chart.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Mabel,
Thank you for sharing this strategy with Tara. I know it will be helpful to others as well as they work to remember the names of their students.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

I thought of doing something like this, but by the time they reach my class they are already very farmiliar with eachother. I don't want to bore them so I'll have to think of something creative.

Tara,
When you have a preset cohort group coming into a class you have some challenges in terms of how to get them to respect and follow your lead. Instead of introductions you can use ice breakers that have the students reveal information about themselves in a fun way and comfortable way that gets everybody listening to what is being shared. Also, these ice breakers will help you to become a part of the class and the learning process.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

when I have a big class I try to get the students to give me their name everytime they have a question or a comment during the class, for example saing, mi name is... and mi question is...this really helps me during the first days with a new class.

Olga,
Good strategy for learning the names of students quickly in a larger enrolled class. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

One nice feature that our computer based student grading and attendance system provides us is the ability to print out an entire cohort's pictures. I have made a practice of doing this several days before a new term begins and studying the names and pictures so that by the first day of class, I have a fairly good idea of who everyone is. I keep the pictures handy in a place where students can't see that I am referring to it when I forget someone's name. It's the ultimate cheat sheet for me.

I have had a problems remembering students names since Ive started teaching. I like the "little names tents" idea and will incorporate that into my class. Simple and easy...and sounds very effective. Next term, getting everyones name down should be a breeze.

Walt,
We have a system like this in our college as well. Having the pictures of the students really helps doesn't it? In my larger classes (70 or more) having the pictures gives me a head start in learning names and placing faces as the course starts.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Craig,
Good to hear. I let my students decorate their name tents with drawings that reflect their personalities and/or interests, as long as they are tasteful and legal. I have a bag full of felt markers with a variety of colors so they spend a few minutes at the beginning of the course putting their names on the tents and then some drawings. Their drawings, the colors they use and their names all blend together so I have a connecting point between a student's name, name tent and what is on that name tent. This makes me remembering their names much easier even in my big classes of 75-100.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Sometimes I use nicknames..similar to terms of endearment. I have a student who looks just like Lois Lane, so I started calling her Lois Lane. She loves it & it gave me time to learn her real name.

I have always enjoyed the name tent idea...I really need to see the name written out, rather than just hearing it, in order to remember it.

Heather,
So do I and that is why I use the name tent method. I get memory clues from seeing the names written out, plus I let the students personalize their name tents with drawings that reflect their personalities. These are always fun to see and discuss. Helps to build a connection between them and myself.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

I have a lot of trouble with the larger classes esp with remembering names, esp then when they move seat on me. I always apologize the first day of class that I may not remember all your names right away, but I will try my hardest. I also let them know that the more communication they have with me, the more I will remember them, or the more they do in my class that I feel is disrespectful, the more I will remember them. Both seem to have quite a large impact for both of us.

Amy,
Good way to let your students know you care about them individually even if you haven't got their names down yet. Like your announcement about the more we talk the easier it will be to remember names. This will help you with establishing rapport with them as well.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment