Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Ronnie,
I agree as well about setting the guidelines and polices the first day. It just makes things go so much easier after that because everyone understands exactly what is expected and required.
Gary

MS. Flores,
I agree with you whole-heartedly. I find that the instructors which I held in the highest esteem were those that put their foot down from the get-go.
To be sure, many thought them to be 'way to strict', but I beleive that it's easier to loosen up a little after having your students' respect, rather than trying to cultivate it after being too lax and buddy-buddy on the first day.

I'm big on setting the guidelines also, I follow the schools prereqs to the tee and outline them as drawn up by our schools guidlines. What I find that works well for me is to bring the students into the discussion as to how they would run things if it were up to them to set school policy.The disscussion gets them thinking about reality and not a fairy tale of how to run an education facility. We usually come to the conclusion that rules must be in place and inforced to have any type of structured education. They feel that I have taken the time to let their thought's out and that they came to this conclusion on their own. Policy is now easier to follow more than ever.

Hi Mark,
Good strategy. Thanks for sharing it with the participants. Good way to get the students engaged in the class right from the beginning.
Gary

Sign In to comment