Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Meeting The Class The 1st Time

I had already been applying many of these techniques and will continue add the and the new.

I too have applied many of these techniques. I actually used such in an open house this past weekend. I have found my delivery to be more clear and to the point of what it would be like to be enrolled in Massage Therapy School

I agree. I have observed that by letting students see that I am conciously attempting to learn their names, pronunciation, personal goals, and expectations, they realize that I am human. That is an important factor that sets the tone for the class environment from then on...

Hi James,
By learning the names you are sending the signal that you care about your students as individuals and that you want them to succeed. You are also developing rapport with them that will come in handy later as you get into the latter stages of the course.
Gary

I have already also been applying several techniques discribed here. I have enjoyed reading the information and realizing how important they are to the first time meeting of the students.

Thank You very much for this module.

It's amazing how much of this comes naturaly. Perhaps it's because we remember what it was like for us when we were students. :>)

I always try remember my days in class and what I liked and disliked

Dan.

I have been applying techniques on the first date of class. The information is very informative.

Hi Janet,
Good to hear. I wish you much success in your efforts, I know your students will benefit.
Gary

I've utilized the techniques, and continue to look improve in any ways possible in the field

In addition to the techniques discussed I like to ask each student to write down something that they expect to learn about or be covered in the class. I read the items aloud to the class without revealing the name of the student. I then discuss the items revelance to the course. If an item is covered I discuss with the class where, when, and how it is covered. If the item is not covered I discuss in what class it will be covered. Getting these expectations out in the open ahead of time helps me to make sure I meet all that are possible and it helps to avoid disappointments if a student is waiting for material that is not covered.

Hi Rick,
I like your approach. Thanks for sharing it in the forum. I am sure other instructors will benefit from using this strategy.
Gary

I also use the techniques listed and found that it establishes a connection that allows the student to feel you value them as a person.

A positive first impression goes a long way to make the course a failure or success for the instructor and the students. It must signal bonding for the same purpose for all - students to learn and apply what the teacher to delivers

Sign In to comment