Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Learning Environment Effect

What role does the learning environment play in the instructional process?

The learning environment provides the student with a relaxed area to be able perform at a confident and productive level.

Teh learning environment play a vital role in the instructional process. A lot of times instructors will inquire students that are freshmans with not idea on what to expect or with hidden fears. As an instructor we play a role in helping to provide a very productive learning environment. A student will not be inspired to achieve if the environment does not speak success or the instructor does not show confidence before their class of students.

I agree that the environment needs to be a place where students can be productive in order to build confidence.

Tena,
So true and so important. If they are distracted by the learning environment they will not be engaged and focused on what is being taught.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

The student need a fresh, clean and lighting classrooms

The learning environment needs to be one where students are comfortable. Having a comfortable/secure environment for learning will help students to be more incline/comfortable to share thoughts/comments/questions and have open discusson(s) on the content/material/information they are being instructed on.

When students are relaxed, they are more willing to learn and participate.

Charles,
Yes, they do. What are some strategies that you use to help them get relaxed and settled into your class?
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

If the students feel intimidated by the learning environment they may not participate freely and/or fully. If they are comfortable they may be more productive and engaged in the class.

The learning environment has a huge role in the institutional process. Everything from the physical classroom atmosphere (decor, seating, visability of needed materials, cleanliness, etc) to the non-tangible items. Like the Instructor's energy level, whether or not disrepect is allowed from any party, freedom to ask questions or for extra help and if encouragement is given. The Learning Environment of any course is similiar to our ozone layer. At times invisible, but always extremely important to our survival.

Sonja,
They need to feel accepted and comfortable just as you mention. This is why instructors need to look at their classroom through the eyes of their students so they can make any adjustments that are needed to make the learning environment supportive to them.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Faith,
Like your example about the ozone layer because it is right on target. The learning environment effect impacts students from the first class meeting throughout the entire course. We need to make sure we have a healthy "ozone learning layer" in all our classes.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

It plays an important one, resulting in a better learning environment for the students.

The environment has a significant impact on keeping the students engaged, ineffective structure can have a derogitory effect - for example; we have a split classroom divided by a movable wall. when both classes are in session there is significant disturbance from the adjoining room making it difficult to keep focus during lectures.

Jeff,
These types of instructional settings are very difficult to work in. I can appreciate your challenge of trying to keep your students focused on your class while hearing distractions from the other class.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I have found that it plays an important role especially when you have students that are easily distracted by everything. The more conducive the environment the better the learning experience.

I use all types of instructional settings because every student learns differently.

I liked what I read in one of these training modules, that motivation for learning depends on 3 factors: (1) Appreication of the value of the larning experience, (2) Expectation of success, and (3) Belief that performance is related to rewards. These factors seem to me to be the intangible part of the learing environment. It will be important for me to keep these in mind so that my students can do their best.

Donna,
These three concepts can serve to direct you as you plan your instructional delivery and content. Once you have completed a unit and have it ready for delivery pause and ask yourself if it provides the three elements. If it does you are good to go and if not be creative and try to add content that will enable the three to be achieved.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment