Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

John,
You make a good point and one that we instructors need to keep in mind as we plan our instruction. There need to be many opportunities for students to be able to apply the information they are learning. This increases the relevancy factor for them.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Creating a open forum for the students allow them to feel that they can contribute freely, and feel that their feedback is being received and valued

Christina,
This sharing of ideas, opinions are great ways for students to develop their confidence in their newly acquired knowledge by discussing what they have learned and why they see value in what they are learning.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

The learning environment needs to be inviting to the student. They need to feel comfortable in the setting. I teach in a clinical setting which can be an exciting adventure for an experienced student and a little intimidating for an inexperienced student. I try to introduce this setting slowly and in a order that is easy to follow. This makes it more comfortable for all learners and less stress for the instructors.

It sets the mood for the class. I always try to get to class about 15 minutes before class starts. I have the powerpoint ready, the handouts are at each students desk and I have my text book open to the chapter I will be lecturing over. When I do lab I make sure the day before that the lab is all setup with everyhing we will be using. It allows for the time to be devoted to learning the necessary skills not me looking all over for the items.

It is critically important because people cannot learn if unless they feel comfortable.

The culture of the institution is crucial. If students know that the environment is serioius, they will get serious or they will leave.

I AM IN TOTAL AGREEMENT WITH THIS STATEMENT. WHILE IN A LEARNING ENVIROMENT, VERY FEW, IF ANY,DISTRACTIONS SHOULD BE KEPT TO A MINIMUM. FOCUS AND DISCIPLINE IS KEY IN THE MEDICAL FIELD.

A STUDENT FEELING COMPELLED TO LEARN BECAUE THE LAB LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE THE OPERATING ROOM, OR, MRS. SMITHS LAB COAT IS ALWAYS IRONED AND CLEAN, IS A GOOD LOOK. BITS AND PIECES OF THE PUZZLE GO TOGETHER TO GET ONE COMPLETE VIEW OF THE STUDENT SEEING THEMSELVES IN A LEARNERS ROLE, AND WITH A CLEAN, PROFESSIONAL AND STRAIGHT FORWARD APPROACH, THE INSTRUCTOR(S) CAN GET THEM TO WHERE THEY WANT AND NEED TO GO.

Katherine,
If students feel comfortable and supported in the classroom or lab they are more relaxed and able to focus on the instructor and the content being shared.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Toni,
This is an important part of the picture that is being developed for the students. They need to see the value of the environment in relation to the professional standards of the field.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

One of the first things i do on day one of lecture, as part of my introduction to the class, is I let the students know I am a human being and make mistakes just like anyone else. I'm down to earth so dont be afraid to raise a question or ask something if its unclear. I have found that ever since I started my classes this way and stay open minded, it helps keep the students engaged and less fearing of being ridiculed for what they might percieve as a silly question. This helps many students with an unclear or vague idea on an objective I am trying to help them understand.

Efrain,
Good way to lay out a foundation for your students and your approach is dead on. We are all human and we do make mistakes and as a result we all can grow and learn from our mistakes. When we make a mistake in one of our classes we can use it as a teachable moment with our students and go from there.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

It plays a very important role, no matter what age students want to feel comfortable in their learning environment. Classroom should be inviting, comfortable seating and arrangement. Each instructor should make sure to get a feel for the classroom prior to students entering and determine what changes could be made to make students comfortable.

Angela,
This such an important part of the instructional planning process. We need to make sure we remove as many distractions as we can. Having a positive learning environment sets the stage for positive learning to occur.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

This is an important part of the learing curve. I like the room to be well lighted and desks positioned so students feel comfortable.

Leslie,
This important element is sometimes overlooked and shouldn't be because of your point about student comfort. It is critical to keep the students engaged and focused on the course.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

If a student has a quite and peaceful learning environment, they tend to do better but if it is loud and chaotic they don't do as well.

Barbara,
How do you set up such environments in your classes?
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

The learning environment plays a very important role in learning. Students have to feel comfortable and classroom has to be prepared and arranged in a manner that will provide maximum support to the lesson and less distraction. If the students are concerned with other issues such as the classroom environment, it will distract from the lesson.

a warm, inviting,well organized, and well equipt classroom allows the student to be more comfortable. which in turns allows them to learn more freely.

Sign In to comment