Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Applying real life sceanrios

As a fairly new Nursing Instructor, the best feedback I have received from my students is they appreciate and better understand key concepts when I apply the topic to a real life nursing scenario. My years as a nurse enhance my teaching and I enjoy seeing my students make the connection of the topic. -- TW

I do this all the time. I have both clinical / bench academic research and EMS experience. I bring that into class as much as possible. Students like to understand Human physiology and how it relates to disease processes. MJS

Hi,

I try to apply real life sceanrios during every class. I feel as if my students engage more and have a better understanding of what their role is in the healthcare field.

Teri,
Love your attitude about the impact you are having on the lives and career preparation of your students. This is what being an educator is about. As you strive to improve your instructional delivery you will receive reinforcement from your students and this will be the reward you desire as you serve as their learning leader.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I do this as much as possible. I tell them stories of when I was on the field and how all the things taught in class is important and how I used them everyday. It motivated the students to take the classes more seriously.

I also use my real life experiences to bring relevance to the topic of instruction. On the positive, it shows that the subject matter does exist, on the negative, lecture and material delivery can get off track. One way that I use to keep the student engaged and keep on track, while showing relevance is to have the students write down a scenario about the lecture material and then pick a student story from their submission and discuss.

Maksuda,
These stories bring value to the content you are teaching so keep sharing them and increasing the engagement of your students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

This has been the best way for my students to retain information. I teach students to install and fix heating and cooling systems. When I talk about something that happened on the job, at someones house, they remember the situation and that helps them create a diagnostic approach to their own problem solving.

I do enjoy sharing happen out in my field of work. Students seem to really enjoy my stories and they ask alot of questions, which is really good that I keep them in engage.

On a daily basis students need real life scenarios to relate.

I find this helps to engage students and also helps gain students respect (more applicable with older students)

@JAPeifer : While working with adult learners, I have found your statement to be true. When adults are able to relate the current information being taught to something that they will experience within the work place, they tend to retain the information better and are more receptive. It is a challenge to convince many of my students that English Composition is necessary on a daily basis, especially within the medical field. However, while accepting the challenge, we work on scenarios that will most likely happen when they are out in the workplace.

:There is a Chinese proverb regarding teaching that states, "Tell me, I'll forget; show me, I'll remember; involve me, I'll understand."  As a teacher of working adults, I strive constantly to involve them in activities and exercises that not only connect to my students' professional lives but also are engaging in and of themselves.  I show them how writing appropriately is critical when applying for a loan or grant, submitting a resume, responding to clients' emails, etc.; we discuss how a piece of paper with text on it actually serves as the very first impression they will make on a client, cutomer, or potential employer.  

Jacci Rizzo

1-12-2015

I find that by using my own life situations to inhance the importance of the lesson really drives home the message with the students. It also lets them know I am human and that everyone, including me, will make a mistake. The trick is to learn from it and move on. I don't expect perfection, I expect them to try their best and fix whatever they may mess up.

@twalsh I do the same thing with the medical assistant class I teach. I try and add as many real life experiances to all my discussions with students. It seems to have a lasting impression because I always get those students that come back and tell me "I remembered when you told us about that mistake you made in clinic and thats why I caught myself before I did it". So I know these examples work and help with the learning process.

Also as an educator of adults with their beginning their education later in life I feel it is very important to relate the subjects to real life so they can understand what we are learning in the classroom and relate it to their career.  They also need to understand what they may be feeling even though I am their teacher may have experienced it and felt it also.

Sign In to comment