Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Icebreakers.

I have found this amazing icebreaker to introduce students on the first day. So often students get comfortable, and are not very welcoming to new students. I found a form that requires each student to go around the classroom introduce them selves and ask the other classmate a question such as do you have a tattoo? If the student says yes, then that students signs the opposing students paper. And so on and so forth. This has been very successful.

Hi Annie,
Anything you can do to get your students talking and exchanging information about themselves is a good way to get class off to a good start. The key is that this type of ice breaker is safe and non-threatening and students need this the first time they meet.
Gary

That does sound like a good one. I am always on the hunt for new ice breakers. I have found that night/eve students are less apt to want to participate! I've had luck with taking one of the topics; ie; HEART and asking the student to answer questions that correspond with the lettter. That way, I get to know them, they get to know each other and we have some fun answers. (They always want me to answer also!)
1. What do you HOPE to be doing in 10 years?
2. What did you EAT today?
3. Who is your favorite actor/actress?
4. What is the last non-school book you READ?
5. Who was your favorite grade school TEACHER and why?

Hi Sally,
Great suggestions. I am sure that many of the instructors reading the forum posts will benefit from your methods.
As you mentioned the key is to get the students involved and comfortable with their new class so they can focus on being successful in the upcoming weeks.
Gary

This is a great way to tie the icebreaker into the course content.

Hi Sally,
I love to use icebreakers to get my students talking and interacting. The "HEART" is a great one.

I think any icebreaking method is positive. It encourages students to participate and usually involves a topic they are familiar with. I encourage it.

I often started my my new courses by having students studnet expalain where they came from, how long before they graduate and what type of vehicle they would own if money were no object. This was useful as we are a automotive technical college. Each course lasts 3 weeks and every three weeks we have graduation
Ken

I wanted to answer to this one as soon as I saw the topic "Icebreakers". It reminded me of my Toastmasters meeting where we would get up and give a 5 minute speech about ourselves.

I do believe new and old students interacting with out another from the first day is an important one. It will create a bond and a camaraderie as well as show where each student is at in different stages in his/her life, which will give the chance for all others to understand and accept him./her

I started doing a similiar icebreaker. I love it! I noticed that it really helped the students that are shy and quiet. They end up making friends and smiling the rest of the day and term. It also helped me with the students that haven't been to school in years and feel out of place because of that. They come and thank me at the end of the day for the game because it helped them fit in and feel more comfortable. It's a great start for a first day of school.

as a new techer any help in getting a class to loosen up can be helpfull thanks for tips.

Hi Timothy,
Start your class with an ice breaker that has the students introducing themselves and talking with each other. Everyone, including the instructor, is nervous the first class meeting. By using ice breakers you are giving everyone an opportunity to get to know each other and get settled into the course. When you get ready to introduce the syllabus and talk about course requirements will be comfortable with you and you with them.
Gary

Gary and Fellow Faculty Members,

I found this discussion forum very interesting. As a veteran Faculty Member, the ice breaker is my starting point for each new class. My classes are build around a conversational format so I need my students to be comfortable in class. The ice breaker activity is always successful in alleviating nervousness and creating a comfortable environment. I have my students turn to a student on their immediate right and find out about this student. If they know the student, I ask them to find another student that they do not know. I also ask for them to find out something exciting or interesting hobbies. Then, these students will introduce each other in front of class.

Susanne

Susanne,
I really like your comfortable and easy way of getting your students settled into your class. This approach reduces many of their concerns and gets them to focus on each other as they introduce themselves. It is a building process from there and this is what the human factor in learning should be about.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment