Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students review for quiz

When I have time to review previous lectures or for reviewing for a quiz, I will have each student in the class create a quiz question (from the current subject)in their head and ask the rest of the class the question. I think looking at the topics from a different view points helps a student broaden their understanding of the topic and enables them to apply the newly acquired information in a small but meaningful way. I will try not to go on to the new topics until everyone in class has come up with a good question.

Hi Mike,
Good approach. I have found and I think you will as well that by using this approach you will find out what your students are thinking in terms of course content importance. Sometimes it is quite different than what you are seeing as being important. Also, this helps you as the instructor to fill in any gaps the students might have in understanding. By this I mean if the students are only asking quiz questions in certains areas that do not include all of the course content you can then add in the missing areas. Sort of a mid-course evaluation for you.
Also, by having the students develop quiz questions you are forcing them to think about application of material. This will help them to not only prepare for the quiz but to review the material several times in their thought process.
Gary

I also agree with you Mike. I think its an excelent approach. Another review approach that I add to this at times depending upon the content, involves a combination of students reciting the logical order of operations or detailed listings until everyone is confident that they have a grasp of the subject. In addition, the student may be asked to explain the reason or common sense behind his thinking so as to insure that the student has a working knowledge of the topic instead of just a display of memorization skills. It is important at this point that I listen carefully to the response, the rate of response, tone of voice, etc. to determine as a class where we stand. If more time is needed I may gather the students into teams to help prepare for another round. The students that have displayed an accurate working knowledge can assist others who need more time. Then we gather again to complete the goal.

very cool idea

THAT IS A VERY GOOD IDEA.

I think this an excellent idea and I will implement with my students.

This is a great idea- it will wake the students up and encourage them to participate as well as testing them to what they have just listened to.

I have tried that method with great success also. In fact we have even split the room into two teams and made a challenge out of it. It can be quite fun and I have noticed the students will make the questions quite challenging.

I think this is a great idea, too. I also like to first give them some basic guidelines on how to create good test questions. They find it very cool to be able to spot the "good" and the "bad" ones on tests :).

I have had students also write out questions for a quiz, made questions for them to answer, and have them work in groups to answer the questions I have prepared that will be required of them to know. I've also done this as a game between teams where each question is given to different members of their team. They seam to like games and competitions.

I think this is a great idea. As I am a new instructor, I am gathering ideas that will get the whole class involved and keep them thinking. I'm looking forward to trying this method.

This is a good strategy for learning, Mike. I always enjoy hearing how others teach, and see how I can integrate something into my own teaching.

One of my favorite review sessions is to play "Family Feud". The class is divided into 2 teams, we have buzzers and timers and everything! Study guide answers are not confirmed until game time, when the teams give me, the host, their answers.

Very cool idea Mike, I really never thought of that before, and i think that sometimes that we as instructors become to involved in our own way of thinking and forget that the focus is the students. In other words, if one person in the class is struggling with a topic then odds are, so is somebody else.This leads me to believe that this can be used as a great instructional tool because inversely if one student is proficient in a concept enough to make an intelligent question for a quiz then odds are , so is someone else. I can see this type of interaction becoming a great tool. It will also give the teacher an idea on where everybody stands based on the content of the questions.

I feel study guides that cover a broad base of information from that class. They are paramount in the learning arena. It focus on the important areas.

Sign In to comment