Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

notes

I like the idea of going over a topic with no note taking. Then having an open discussion later, to make sure all of the notes are then taken correctly. This allows the student to focus on what is being said the first time around, instead of trying to focus on what they are writing.

Hi Adam,
I understand! Some students like this tactic, but others don't. I leave it up to my students to take notes or not.

Patricia Scales

I agree with you Adam. However, I can never know if my students are taking notes since I am an online instructor. Student then are not required to attend Live Chats although they are encouraged and must participate in the Discussion Boards. I feel that taking notes at the end of a discussion can be beneficial but would offer an outline template for them to work from. This way, key points might spark something that they then remember.

Hi Chad,
This is hard to monitor via online. Requiring students to participate in discussion baords encourages students to participate.

Patricia Scales

It is a challenge to not have students take notes in a nursing program. They are over-achievers in many ways. Convincing students that discussing and absorbing material is more beneficial, even with outline notes such as a Cornell outline continues to challenge. Instructors continue to teach content and lecture, rather than attempt to use tools to teach concept and critical thinking. Asking many question assists, but then one has to allow adequate time for discussion. We wonder why our students do not allow patients to answer questions, no wonder when we do not mentor such behavior to our students in the classroom or clinical areas.

Hi Michael,
I concur! You may want to try guided notes with your students because they really minimize notetaking, and guided notes serve as an effective learning tool. Over-achievers certainly want to write down everything; this will really decrease how much they need to write down.

Patricia Scales

I would like to try this with my math class. Currently, they always take notes. I wonder if it would help them if they listened and watched first, then took notes.

Sign In to comment