Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Presentations

When I have my students give presentations on case studies, how can I encourage the other students to ask questions and participate?

I have found that when giving this type of assignment I will have the class break-up into groups and discuss the presentation amongst themselves , one person is the recorder and then one person will ask the questions or add to the discussion.

I like to have students demonstrate a skill or task to another small group of students. They become the teacher. This helps with leadership skills and understanding the task.

I agree with Arthur, This will help with leadership skills while also helping the student retain the information by instructing other students in different groups.

Hi Arthur,
I concur! We need to allow our students to have as many leadership roles in the classroom as possible. We will found that some students are just natural born leaders.

Patricia Scales

Hi Joseph,
Some students really and truly love being the leader, simply because they are just natural leaders.

Patricia Scales

That is a very good idea. If someone has the leadership skills he/she uses them somewhere else if we, teachers, won't allow them to do that in class.

Hi Inesa,
Some students are just natural leaders, and they like utiling their leadership abilities.

Patricia Scales

You can also inform students that their active participation in the Q&A following presentations is graded on a bonus level. This will therefore encourage students who want extra points without penalizing those students who have nothing to offer at that particular time.

Hi ANTOINETTE,
Great idea! I have a participation grade and students are more incline to participate because they know the repercussion.

Patricia Scales

I am going to have to implement this in my next group presentation because it will allow students to actively participate without penalizing the students who do not have anything beneficial to add to the discussion.

Sign In to comment