Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Boooooooooring lectures

lectures should be interesting and interactive. If not we are realy just talking to walls; especially at 7 am

Very true, but some information is just dry. Especially foundations type information. Although all efforts are attempted to make it fun, so information just is not.
Donna

Hi Donna,
Some information is just borain. As mentioned, we must find creative and fun ways to make the information exciting and interesting.
Patricia

Hi Nagib,
At 7:00 a.m. the instructor needs to enter the room in high energy level so that this energy is felt by the students, and the students will become energized.

Finding the right formula to keep students interested and "awake" and energized is key. Breaking up the lecture and inserting an activity that forces them to get up and move or challenge themselves is important to keeping them going.

I once read a piece of advice that said it works well if the presenter starts out at the same energy level as the group, and then gradually builds both her own energy level and the energy level of the group. I have found that this is good advice - it helps to avoid the "disconnect" sometimes felt when an instructor bouncing around while everyone else is still asleep. And I know what you mean about early morning classes - they can be tough!

Hi Lise,
Variety is good! Students like it when the instructor uses variety with a lecture to add flavor, such as role playing, field trips, guest speakers, case studies, simulations, etc.
Patricia

I agree with Professor Sued. We have to engage our students and make sure that they are geting a couple things. Of course and education to the subject but also some interaction and entertainment. We can add some jokes where appropriate, personal stories and current event stories!

Hi Guy,
No one wants to be bored. We have to use our creativity and add as much variety to the lecture as possible. Variety adds flavor to the lecture, and students like it.
Patricia

I have to agree. There is going to be some information that is just too dry, especially when students are taking a required course that does not interest them. Valid attempts to make things more interesting and fun is a good but students need to know that an extra effort to stay focused is expected.

Hi Brad,
We have to do our very best to make the course interesting and fun, and yes the students need to do their part as well.
Patricia

It's true that some information is just dry. Perhaps in that case, it's best to take the level of abstraction down a bit; information is just an interpretation of data.

Consider this: Present the data, then give the students the task of extracting information from that data; in this way, you can make even the most mundane information interesting to disseminate, and it will challenge the students to analyze the data (and its context).

-E.A.W.

Hi Edward,
Great points made! For boring data, as the instructor we need to become real creative to make things exciting.
Patricia

I agree. I teach motorcycle technology and even though most students are very interested in the information and curriculum lecture, it is very hard for anyone to keep focused for extended periods of time. I use different methods of active learning to make everything more interesting for me as well. Seems to keep attitudes towards school posative also.

Energy is key!! I think if it's 7AM or 1PM class the instructor must have a lot of energy in the classroom. Most student pick up on it and it can be catching. I also make sure I involve my students in the lecture, walking around asking questions and having them give examples helps keep students alert, make it fun and add an element of surprise to that lecture.

Hi David,
I concur! As instructors our energy should only run out when the work day is over. We owe it to our students to give them our all and all. No one likes boredom.
Patricia

The one class I feel the material is very dry. Most students are not interested and always make the comments that they take it only because its required for their program. They are so uninterested that it makes it hard for me to be interested. I like to involve them in the lectures. So every couple classes I give them the opportunity to "teach" the class a section of the chapter we are working on for that night and allow them to do it in groups. This makes them more involved and not so bored. I make it a quiz grade so they don't feel like they are doing it for nothing.

Hi Nicole,
Let's take a reverse approach here. Try your very best to make the class interesting, exciting, and fun so that this excitement rubs off to your students. Get with a seasoned instructor to find out what you can do to make the class more exciting. Google various class activities for the course so that you can add flavor to the course. Excitement begins with the instructor.
Patricia

I am a part time instructor during the evenings. After a long day of work at my day job, I have found it difficult some nights to enter the class with lots of energy. Perhaps I can somehow pep myself up before going into the classroom. Any other suggestions for re-energizing before class?

Also, with limited time to find activities, I use a wonderful resource that offers a lot of active learning lessons in my field (English). I adapt them for my classes and some of them have worked really well.

I find if I give the students something to DO, not just listening or taking notes, it makes a lot of difference. For example, a pre-test. Before the lecture, try giving them ten questions about the material you're going to talk about. See how much they already know. Also, you can give them a short-answer test about why this material is important. That will set them up to listen better. Also, always try to have some kind of demonstration or model with you for them to look at and get "hands on" with. Keep them BUSY.

Sign In to comment