Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Selecting media for your classes

When selecting media for class, one must remember that the learning style of each student differs. i.e. When using power points, make sure that the student can inter act with the presentation presented. By doing this the student will not loose interest on the subject at hand that is being taught.

Hi Richard:
PPT's can be a tricky assignment for teachers. Keeping the students interest is rarely compensated by the "lighted screen with text and/or images". Adult attention span's are not long (about 30 minutes max at one stretch), so your poiunt about assuring the student can interact with the presentation is very insightful. Arriving at the best method to make sure there is interaction takes the skill and thoughtfulness of effective instructors.

Regards, Barry

I agree to the fullest. Most of the teaching I do in one of my classes revolves around the power point presentation. And being able to keep a room of 20-30 adults interest focused on your lecture is not an easy task.
I find it best if you try to mix things up every couple minutes. Weather it’s a light joke, a loud noise or a training tip that is accompanied by a training aid.

Hi Myron:
Good thoughts. Keeping the pace flowing and the interest of the students is nearly always a demanding challenge. Your suggestions are but a few of many that are successful.

Good instructors will continuously seek methods that work towrds keeping their students interested and ingaged.

Regards, Barry

I also try to put in some form of them doing some diagnostic dealing with the lectur to get them thinking

Hi Donald:
Good. Anytime you can integrate some form of hands on or illustrations of how some finished product should look, you'll keep the imagination, interest, and learning curve of the student peaked.

Regards, Barry

A selection of media including hand on is a great parts of my culinary class. video, dicussion and hand on work great for me

Hi Germain:
Super! Using all those media will stimulate different parts of the brain and student's memory is likely to be inhanced as the result.

Regards, Barry

Powerpoint is good. But has anyone had success with other forms like Prezi. I tried it and it took a little to grasp. It turned out pretty well.

Sign In to comment