Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I give open book exams regularly

My focus is on project work, not tests, and the percentage for tests is far less than projects. For most students, this helps, but some have problems reading and still do poorly. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Leslie,
Projects are a good activity if the students learn what's needed from it. Ultimately, students will be held accountable for demonstrating mastery of some body of information related to the course. How that's measured can be varied, but the emphasis should be "how best to measure learning". It doesn't have to be tests necessarily. Questioning students individually could be one method that effective, if it can be done objectively and fairly to all students. Also, essays that allow the student to express their ideas and convey they know the material is another way. Setting up a grading rubric for either of these methods would seem to be a good idea, as both student and instructor will know how the activity will be graded beforehand, and both are committed to abiding by the grading rubric standard.

Barry Westling

no i m not with you in this point because learning is accumlation of information but need to be organizedso test important and project ,the open book test some time good but it is work for short time and the leaner not remember any thing after ending the test.

Salah,
Yes, mastery of information and understanding essential information requires independent thinking. Open book assessments may have a place, but I would suggest their use for assessment of mastery of information.

Barry Westling

Hi Leslie,

I agree fully with you that there are many, many ways to facilitate and assess a student.We have to understand the learner. What type are they, what mode of teaching suits them best so they may retain the maximum amount of information. Then usuing your repetoire of methods, custom tailor your introduction and body of information. If students in a class work well together then group projects or studying is very effective. If students must physically do something, then give out daily lessons including some hands on work. You as the facilitator must use a formula of methods to create the best evaluation standards. Your experience will ultimately be the final judge of what rating the hands on work should get. Be as positive as possible. In a close call, I aire on the side of the student. I post office hours, students can reach me to discuss an area or perform a selected task and I will work one on one with them. Fairness is imperative. I try not to determine whose work I am evaluating until I have reached my decision on the workmanship. Not know the name creates a neutral arena by which you are soley assessing the items without any students face in your mind. Mitch Becker

I'm still trying to find a good balance within the curriculum requirements. It seems that tests do let you know how students have learned each section but I also feel that they tend to "study up" to be sure to pass the test and then forget it once the test is past. I think that maybe a cummulative test that builds on all to the final is maybe the best? Projects that can be done and shared with the other students also help the others learn. That's what my class will be doing this term. They will prepare a copy of their research paper to share with the others in class. Mindy Smith

Melinda,
I think anything that assists students to learn and master their course material is worthwhile, even if it is a bit non-traditional. I don't think open book tests really enhance learning, but they do provide a different way to study for times when an independent (non-open book) assessment is given. We seek mastery of information from our students. Ask them a question, we want an intelligent, thought out response, not "Let me go look that up in my textbook".

Barry Westling

I don't see how anyone woud be learning from an open book test. Unless the test were to guage how well or how fast they look up answers.

Kevin,
Right. Maybe calling it a study period, or early start on homework, or even chapter review or chapter familiarization. My observation is little "assessment of learning can occur accurately from an open book test.

Barry Westling

I struggle with this concept as well. Are the students knowledgable about the content or can they just read fast/look up answers quickly?

Suzanne,
Personally, I have to question what value there is in an open book "test". Now, other assignments where free time to look up information, even if some credit is given for it, that would make sense. Unless it's a "read anmd searh" task that's being measured, I would not use an open book test.

Barry Westling

Mixing hands-on skill training and didactic learning help to break classes up.

Mitchel,
Yep, variety helps keep interest piqued. A good blend of lecture and demonstration mixed with hands on lab or similar skills practice makes for better retention of information and student engagement. I don't much merit in open book tests if we're trying toperfect skills.

Barry Westling

I don't necessarily agree on open book tests. If you learned the material, you know the material for the test. But for my first final exam I gave I chose to give them five minutes of open book/notes. I did not tell them ahead of time. I instructed them to keep moving throughout the test, and if they got stuck on something to come back to the problem questions and answer them after they went through the test completely one time. Once everyone completed their exams I gave them five minutes of open book/notes. These students were adults, working, with families taking night school. Granted, this is not an excuse for not learning the material, but I think in reality work/children can pose issues from time to time. They seemed to be satisfied with being able to double check a few items they weren't completely sure of. And the ones who did poorly because they didn't study the material, it didn't necessarily give them any edge over the ones who did the work, they still did poorly because they had too much information to look up in that short period of time.

Lisa,
For testing (unless its was a reading test), I have learned that open book tests are less effective than the more traditional "demonstrate what you have learned" methods.

Barry Westling

I have had no luck with open book exams. I find the students just do not read or study at all and therefore spend the time searching for answers.

Dr. Randy,
My best success with open book activities has been in-class worksheets, or teams of students working together to present a segment of a lessonm to the rest o0f the class. As a testing instrument, I find little value in the time and results of the information provided.

Barry Westling

I have adult students so on some of the chapters that I go over I do allow open book test. I, as an adult student myself, understand that there are not always enough hours in the day to sit down and actually have quiet time to study. One thing that I do like to do is always quiz my students by asking them questions that apply to whatever they are learning at the time whether it's about acrylic nails or silk nails...that way I know that they have paid attention in class and retained the information.

Amy,
I have used the open book activity as a study guide and even homework. Being in the medical field, I have to be able to hold students accountable for necessary information, so a test with an open book would not be appropriate for my classes. The whole thing centers around learning, so whatever an instructor does, if we can get students to learn, then it's an activity that's probably worth while.

Barry Westling

I always like to give a closed book quiz before the final exam, then let the students open their notes towards the end of time given for the quiz. I like to do this because it confirms the areas the students have already retained and the areas that they need to further study.

Sign In to comment