Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Jerry,
This sound like an effective study method that should help improve student performance on exams. We want to measure learning, and for me, any activity that helps that process is a worthwhile endeavor.

Barry Westling

This is a tough topic. While I agree that tests/assessments are our best tools as instructors to assess students understanding and mastery of a topic, when do we say "no more?"
By this I mean, if our job as an instructor is to teach these students the skills they will need, in reality - even if we give an "open book" exam are they still not learning? And furthermore, at the time of assessment, if they do not know an answer, or get it wrong, have they then learned incorrectly? And wouldn't we want for them to use their resources to find the correct answer...even on a test?
I have used a compromise before - student takes exam, student receives 5 minutes of open book time to check that one or two questions they weren't sure about.
In the real world, I wouldn't want a student making a guess about a dosage calculation...I would expect them to find the correct answer. Knowing where to look for those answers sometimes is a lesson in itself.

Jodi,
In principle, I agree that if the goal is to enhance learning, as long as it's ethical, creative methods to achieve learning are worthwhile. A few times, after a major test has been given (i.e.,mid-term or final exam), I collected all the original tests, then allowed students to retake the same test, this time using notes, text, just not each other. Then their score from the second attempt is graded, and that percentage is given additional credit to be added to the first attempt score. In effect, I am using the the assessment of learning as an instructional tool. Don't do this all the time, but students have generally welcomed the opportunity to get a few extra points, and their learning has undoubtedly improved by the exercise.

Barry Westling

Sign In to comment