Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I think it depends on the student...some adult students have family or other responsibilities that might interfere with their school performance. I think extra credit gives them a chance to demonstrate their learning, which is what testing and grading is all about, isn't it?

Hi April:
Testing and grading assignments that are given to all students to meet course objectives and student learning outcomes are one thing.

Realistically, most extra credit is about points and grades, and less about learning. Yes we want to measure learning that is appropriate to the course and topic.

For instance, I would not want a nurse to give me an injection when in school, s/he was absent for the injection portion of instruction, but got a passing grade because s/he wrote a paper and PPT instead and earned extra credit points to pass, would you?

Regards, Barry

Our school policy does not allow extra credit. As a rule, the percentages for each category of grades(test,quiz,homework,etc) is weighted to ensure that all students can have a "cushion" so extra credit is not necessary.

Sign In to comment