Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Adhering to Professional Standards | Origin: CM106

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Creating a Compliant Culture: Do's and Don'ts --> Adhering to Professional Standards 

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I was not aware that schools had an option to be accredited or not. I know that accreditation takes time, but the schools in my opinion should at least be working towards accreditation and have a time frame for completion. What is the purpose of receiving an education from a school without accreditation? Most people who seek out education are looking for opportunities, and I don’t see how a non-accredited school can be of use. Having the option to go back to school is important, because qualifications for jobs are changing rapidly, and if a student goes to a school where their credits don’t transfer, then they have to start all over. I did know that it was illegal for schools to knowingly withhold information from students, my old school did that to me, and now I’m completing my second bachelors, because their staff withheld information. Then when I further investigated the program, no 1 person gave me the same answer, which made completing my educational goals more difficult. Moving forward as an instructor and someone who my students look to as a resource, I will always do my best to make ethical decisions, and insure that they know resources to help them be successful and learn from my mistakes. Also, does anyone know how if I can be reimbursed or have some just from the issues I faced with my old school who mislead me?

This topic really reinforced the importance of accreditation and doing the right thing for a student for me. I was aware of some of the implications of misleading or withholding information from a student but this module really solidified the importance. I also was not aware that the Department of Education did not determine state education standards. I previously believed they were to driving force for the education standards per state. It is clear that compliance is not just important to meet regulatory standards but really for the benefit of the institution: honesty and integrity bring in students, positive word of mouth and help retain students by building trust.

I have learned the responsibilities of the three triads and how important it is to have the Department of education, accredeting bodies and the state agencies.  

This modeule really reiterated just how vital it is to be as transparant and forthcoming with students as you can be. Withholding information is not only worst practice but can have the potential to completly close your facility as it directly goes against regulation. 

Much of this information is in line with current country politics - attention to trending behaviors of regulatory actions on part of the Federal Government are to be expected with the new administration. 

It's important to operate with integrity and set realistic expectations for your students. Certain behaviors are unacceptable and are unprofessional in an admissions position. The admissions representative is the face of the school, the first impression given to current and prospective students. 

What I learned is that lead with intergrity like you should with all expects of life!

My greatest take away from this module so far has been that integrity should be a part of the very fabric of who you are as an organization.  Understanding the foundation of what the department of education does, what state agencies do, what accrediting bodies are responsible for...these all lead in to building a compliant organization.  It's critically important that all employees buy in to the process.  

One takeaway this mod hit was how the whole institution should lead with transparent and factual communication. The accreditation bodies, third parties, and Department of Education will oversee their boxes, but the entire staff and departments must do this internally as well. 

I strongly believe that by commiting to always being truthful, transparent and helpful you create the culture of stellar student service. In the reading, when it mentioned that the best way to overcome mistakes with students is in the delivery, attitude, and positive interactions with the student it rang true. "Mistakes happen: we’re only human, at the end of the day. So if you find that the customer is indeed right in whatever complaint they’re making or issue they raise, the best thing you can do is face up to it. This is a much more effective way of getting the customer back on side than kicking the can down the road or trying to pass the buck" (Brightpearl, 2020).

Its refreshing to see the standards that we are being held to as a whole organization. My understading of this module is the importance of being honest, kind, transparent and accountable. 

What I have learned in this module is to be transparent with everyone we come into contact with. Not doing so can cost us our jobs, accreditation, and most importantly the reputation of our school, employees, and all of our students. I also learned what each departments does, such as the state, department of education and what we do as an institute to make sure we are following policies and procedures to make the education of our students the best experience

Throughout this module I have learned why adhering to and compliing with professional and ethical standards is crucial to being a successful admissions representative. Ethical standards help establish trust between an institution and the students, businesses, and communities that it serves. I have also learned that exceptional customer service skills is the foundation of that relationship. A positive attitude, setting realistic expectations, and clearly presenting accurate information are all vital to setting a student up for success. Most importantly, student success equals success for the institution, business, and communities that they serve. 

As with any business, the reputation is very important. Our students and their achievement and happiness in our school are of the utmost importance. It's important that we remember we are here to help them change their life. If you do it correctly, you are honoring values like do the right thing, honesty, direct communication. Schools go through a lot of agencies and magnifying glasses of the accrediting and state agencies, when you hold the strong values, students and the reputation of the school will flourish.

The topic is highly related to my field. I can apply the concepts learned to my job context. I really appreciate the importance of doing the right thing and having clear core values that are shared among the institution's employees. I also like the idea of being consumer centred (student-centred in the case of colleges) and the managing and matching that matching the consumer expectations. I also like the elements of consumer satisfaction, including Trust, active listening, commitment, communication, and timely execution. I appreciate the tips provided for the consumer concerns. I can also reflect on the provided regulatory overview and link it to the education system in my country. Finally, I have learned that no compliance could lead to severe results at the institutional and individual levels.

What I have learned is our school is compliant with the standars and principles outlined in this course. Even though we do not accept Federal Financial Aid and we carry only programmatic accreditation, we still abide by the appicale values and ethical standards of program integrity as regulated by the US DOE. The bottom line is, treat others as you would like to be treated.

Our focus as administrators should be on setting up a culture of truth and honesty. People should be able to discuss their reservations about any process and procedure they are not comfortable with and the Mangement should address those concerns. We should be forthright in providing correct information tpo the students.

Super informative. Being honest, transparent, and compliant! 

This module really reinforced the importance of integrity in everything that we do. If we work and function with integrity, aiming to maintain that integrity in how we present ourselves and the information we're giving out, we can maintain the integrity of our institutions and their accredidation status.

Sign In to comment