Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Pushing Students

One of my problems is recognizing when I push a student too hard. I like to believe that I am pushing them to succeed, but there are times that I feel I am pushing certain students too hard and they just shut down. I realize then that I can't stop pushing (though the urge is there) but I need to push in a different way. My question is how can I "see" this shut down coming and head it off?

This is a tough question, Paul.

It is important for teachers to keep inspiring their students to stretch just beyond where they are now so that subject mastery keeps improving bit by bit. You still need to "push" your students.

It is important to look for signs that a student is starting to shut down. It may be a behavioral change, like coming to class late or bot at all. The student may get very quiet when he is usually engaged. Academic performance might drop off quickly.

The best advise I can give is to really pay attention to each student and to ask each student how they are doing when anything seems out of sorts.

That is a fine line to walk, however, if you don't push them. They may not ever know what they are capable of.

Pushing a student can result in a shut down. Care needs to be taken so as not to "put them on the spot" in the classroom. Involving fellow students in the subject with an over all view may help. The student might be more comfortable going with the flow of his classmates and progress.

Robert,

You are right on target here. We can correct without stripping students of their self worth.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I often have this problem and it is very difficult to know the correct direction to take with each student. I sometimes worry that I don't challenge them enough if I don't push. I do try to encourage that they are capable but I get discouraged when there are students I can't motivate to do their best. I do try to reach out and talk to them and this works most times but being passionate about my subject I want it work 100% of the time.

I also find it hard to know how had to push a student ,the hardest is the ones who dont talk much.

Janet,

It is okay to challenge students if we can avoid overwhelming them. The key is to provide support and encouragement,

Jeffrey Schillinger

I find that by getting to know my students I can 80% of the time guage how far to push them. I have some students though that no matter what method I try, just don't believe in themselves or what they are trying to accomplish. This is very discouraging at times.

I had a hard time the first few year pushing my students hard. then i found out it was how i asking them to impove. I found that sometimes i need to explain my style of feed back and let them know its ok to talk to me and say that im pushing to hard. then i let them know i just want them to push themself a little more than they think they can. i often tell them pushing and falling short may be one of the best ways to see how much we can impove. sometimes we learn when we fall short.

Sign In to comment