Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Our First Impression

This section hit home with me when dealing with first impressions. I have always judged a person by my first impression. They usually do have about ten minutes and that either makes or breaks the interaction.

Thanks, Julie.

I like to tell my teachers that every day brings a new opportunity for a first impression. That is why the five minutes before class starts and the first few minutes of class are so important. Planning a great opening activity can set a great impression for the full class meeting.

My class runs six weeks long. I give my students everyday a chance for a 1st impression. For myself I give the first day of class as my first impression to the students.

At the start of each day of class i greet my students at the door in order to try to recreate that first impression everyday.

everyone has good and bad days. this is why we cant take our first impression the very first time we meet a student. every day is a new opportunity to grow so we should use the first moments of class and see how our students will interact for that day. not just shun them because they seemed uninterested day one

Good point, Michael.

We usually think about the first impression we make with outr students. We have a chance to make a new forst impression each class meeting.

It is also important to not make snap judgements about a student based on our first impression. The Pygmalion effect, when the behavior and attitudes of one person influences the performance of another, has been proven through many studies.

As teachers, we need to be careful not to decide in our minds who will be successful and who will not be.

I hope you change your mind about first impresions. People react to situaions in their own way and do not always show their real selves. As teachers, we should always be open to another first impression.

Good point, Joyce.

As teachers, we need to resist the urge to make judgments based on initial impressions. The Pygmalion effect will actually cause us to act toward the student in a way that will cause the student to behave such as to validate our perception.

I react the same way to first impressions. I give my students as much of a positive impact as possible. I give them things to look forward to in the field. I give them inspiration and motivation.

Shawn,

It is important to make a positive first impression each day. What are one or two specific things you do to get your classes off to a great start?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Sign In to comment