Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Developing a High EQ

What do you do intentionally to try to develop your students' Emotional Intelligence (EQ)?

Mentoring of students is a critical aspect of assisting students in developing their EQ. Most students are not confident or knowledgeable about their capabilities. As a teacher, it is my goal to help students better understand their EQ while recognizing their possibilities and potential. Encouragment, role modeling, and spending time with students is quite helpful in helping them to develop a high EQ.

Susan,

Thank you for this post. Nothing is more important than spending time with your students, especially outside of class.

I believe the age of our students factors into this process of development. We know the longer a student is in college the more they develop. Student Development Theory supports this , so I would focus on those beginning students and move outward from there to the older students. Adult students have a wide variety of life experiences so they are more challenging to interpret their EQ needs and help develop emotional intelligence.

I intentionally make a part of my effort to asses the state of the individual and/or the total classroom. When either or all are in a poor state of mind their potential for learning is drastically decreased and thei impacts not only the individual but offer an opportunity for others in a more positive state to be dragged down. Sometime the notice that you notice and are making an effort to assist is enought to raise momentum on the emotional level and other times the state may involve some more direct intervention. it is a win-win situation for the student(s),classroom, and school environment.

I explain situations that occur repeatedly in our field and ask them how they would handle them.

Thanks, Amy.

Using role play is a great way to help students experience things in a classroom that they will experience in their careers. One very good faculty member I work with starts each class with a cutomer service challenge in which he role plays with a student. Every student in the class has to solve a problem at least once during the term.

Honestly I dont think that I have taken this into alot of account. I allways feel awquard diving too far into peoples emotions like that is a line I would cross and get to personal. But I think my approach will be differnt now that this consept has been shown to me. I dont have to be so direct and I can get them to tell me by showing a care for their personal well being and sucsess.

Thanks for this post, Jason.

Sometimes modeling the behavior you want to see in your students is enough. It also helps to share stories you know of or read about that illustrate someone showing high EQ or even low EQ. Examples keep it from getting too personal.

I try to give as much or as little guidance as possible. When I assign work in the computer lab, I walk around the room and assess each students grasp of the assignment and react accordingly.

Peter,

It is great that you are an active instructor in lab. Too often, I have seen instructors turn the students loose then only interact with students when they have questions. You take the initiative, which is what is supposed to happen in lab.

Does your school ever observe teachers performing in a laboratory environment? My faculty members developed an observation instrument exclusively for use for observing instruction in a lab setting.

Students are very quick to identify many reasons as to why they will not succeed at school and that dropping out is the only option. I respond by letting them know that their feelings are normal and remind them of the reasons why they enrolled in school in the first place. I also find a way to relate a personal experience similar to their situation. All administrators have a common ground with all students.

Thank you, Miguel.

Students often focus on the "rocks in the road" instead of on their goals. The trick is to help them see themselves as successful, capable members of their chosen profession, even if they are not there yet.

Usually students can figure out a way to be successful if we ask them the right questions and provide some guidance.

Emotionstion are what drive people,the desire to achieve their goals,nobody wants to head down a road that they don't have a clear understanding of whats in it for me.

Dave,

I am sure you would agree that EQ is more than just a "what's in it for me?" attitude. What are some of the other attitudes you try to develop in your students?

We have an emersion activity everyday to to bring in everystudent to the table to make them feel like it is their class.

Sounds like a great strategy. Can you provide a few examples that may help other course takers?

When the student asks me a question, instead of giving the answer to them, I try to pull it out of them by asking them a series of questions. So, at the end the student feels like they knew the answer.

Thanks, John.

This a very old but very effective teaching strategy.

I have found that around half my students lack the conviction to believe in themselves. I try to instill confidence in those students by starting on a one to one basis and gradually moving up. Like a fish on a hook, you cannot drag them along with everyone else, they need to be played and coaxed into the net of confidence. Then and only the they begin to believe in themselves and start standing on their convictions.

Sign In to comment