Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

School Activities

Our School actually has guest speakers come in often and talk about real life in the careers chosen . Also the Job Placement happens throughout the entire enrollment they are at the school . We are actually able to hire students for work that is conductive to the subject matter taught even as early as the first semester .

I like the idea of guest speakers. My program is a graduate program for working K12 teachers who want further degrees and certifications/endorsements. The idea of having area superintendents appear as quest speakers accomplishes tow things. (1) students get to know the needs of sch districts. (2) Superintendents get to meet prospective candidates for future positions.

Guest speakers help students and employers to see possiblities. Use them as much as you can.

Dr. Banks

Using guest speakers and taking students on field trips to job sites where the knowledge and skills they are acquiring are used are both powerful retention tools.

Guest speakers usually entrance students. The students can feel the goal of graduation when hearing from a speaker in the field. It makes achieving the goals more realistic and hands-on.

Students really benefit from guest speakers. As instructors, we can discuss how things are in the working world but when a guest speaker comes in, the student is getting that information from the employer perspective which is a great balance. I've seen guest speakers talk about professional attire, grooming, a lot of the soft skills that students are sometimes lacking. It really impacts them to hear it from various sources.

Even when we have a quest speaker for the students I attend and use this motivation for myself.

Guest speekers come to our school frequently, I try to get them to come into the classrooms to address the students in smaller settings, this seems to give the students a more one on one feel with the speeker rather than in a LARGE group. The students tend to open up and ask more questions to feed into our class room discussions.

Excellent and powerful.

Dr. B

Our school schedules regular job fairs, so that students get to meet employers in the field that they are training in. What I feel is good about this is that even if a student, is not graduating yet he/she can already start to develop lines of communication with employers.

i always see how excited students get when they here of upcoming job fairs

Job fairs excite students... why? This is the main reason students study... to gain the knowledge they will need to get the job.

Dr. B

our school hosts many career fairs throughout the year and we try to do mini, ultra specialized career fairs as well. Having leaders in the field come and engage the students is an amazing process and very beneficial

Job fairs are critical. Why? Keeps the student's vision in tact. Way to go.

Dr. B

We, also have guest speakers at mini-seminars held on-campus weekly and also have a job fair or recruitment days that Career Services puts together every few weeks. We've had great success from it, as far as I've seen.

Great... I love it... this links career services and students early in the process. Remember, students study becuase they want "the" job.

Dr. B

We have employers come to our school all the time and speak to the students about "real life in the shop". This is motivating to the students and it reinforces what we say in the classroom everyday.

our school has career fairs also. As well as having people from the industry come in to talk with the students. It really is a huge benefit and I find that the students are very excited to talk to future employers and learn what expecations they have for new employees.

I think when employers come and let those coming into any field know what is expected from them and what they can receive it is very helpful and can put them at ease.

I kow we have had a panel of people come in to talk with our students and it really got the excitment going.

Sign In to comment