Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Showing we care...

We have a small enough population that everyone is actually involved in retention. We have blinker system that allows faculty and staff alike to share when a student may be absent. It speaks volumes about how much we care about our student body when, during the normal course of a day, we are armed with information. When I can ask a student who may not be in my class if everything is alright and offer help, there is usally a smile of safety that creeps on their face. Helps to show that we are all in this together.

Cheyney,

Even if you had a large student body, everyone should be involved in retention.

Dr. Larry Banks

The students are interacting with many different instructors and staff, thoughout there stay. It's very important that all are in the same state of mind when it comes to a possitive student outcome.

Some students come from backgrounds where no one cares about them or thier lives. If we can show them in some small way we care by asking why they are not in school or listening to them goes a long way

We have students that there parents are sending them there just so they are out of there lives i tell my students that our instructors care about them and there education.

John,

If parents are truly getting their children out of their lives it show a lack of a support structure outside of school.

Dr. Ron Hansen

Our entire campus knows their part in retention. Education is responsible for calling all absent students just to check on them, remind them someone cares and to help them come back to class. Faculty follows up with all absent students once they return to give them any missed handouts and suggest a student to get notes from. This is a big part of our Peer Mentor responsibilities as well.

Haley,

When students know the staff at the school care it makes a big difference. It sounds like your campus has a solid program.

Dr. Ron Hansen

It is important to show the students we care or they will stop showing up to class and their goes our retention. By trying to give the students an all out attention effort they are sure to be successful.

Shawn,

Yes, if the students truly believe people at the school care for them they will form "connective tissue" to the school.

Dr. Ron Hansen

Yes alot of parents these days in the lower demographic area seem not to care about their children. They push them to leave homes early and most of the students that are involved in our schools have not choice but to enter a school to better their lives instead of being in the streets.

hossai,

The students that come to us are trying to "break the chain". The parents often do not have a frame of reference to support what their children wish to do by seeking an education.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Hello Cheyney,

I am also at a small school. I think that is a great idea! I want to see if there is also a way for us to incorporate this type of system so that everyone, faculty and administration can encourage student attendance.

Sign In to comment