Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Model,Mentoring & Monitoring

I really believe that all these areas must be met to assist a student the way instructors need to.
(1) Always #1 be an example for the student to follow. That includes dressing, attitude and gestures.
(2) I like to share career life experiences with my students. I find that it opens up a means of communications. They will come to me with all kinds of issues. I try to assist or refer them to someone who can help them.
(3) I can't figure out rather I have succeeded without monitoring. My first awareness that something is not right comes from watching attendance, attitude in class, test scores and class participation.

Benetta,

Thanks. What are some of the specific things you watch for in your students as signs of trouble?

Jeffrey Schillinger

I look at their level of alertness, rather they can interact with the rest of the class or if they are disengaged with different class activities. I also look at punctualilty. Is this student late for class. If grades drop, why? Are they putting study time in at home. I try to find out why the student lost interest in the subject matter. Ask open ended question that allow the student to take over the conversation and express any feeling that they want to share. Of course this is done in private.

Sign In to comment