Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

not getting lost in the paperwork

I find this to be a wonderful start to a retention module. Like many others in education, I am responsible for many organizational tasks and sometimes find myself glued to my office chair.

I love the idea of connecting with 5 students at least once per week to create a bond. This is a good way to get me away from my desk--and can also keep the true purpose of my job in perspective...the students!!!

Karen,

Of the better Deans that I work with holds regular "coffee with the Dean" sessions.She invites students to meet with her and talk one-on-one in the student lounge. She has found this to be a great way to build relationships with the student body.

I like this idea--and will share it with our Director of Education.

I hope it works as well at your school as it does in ours.

I feel the same way most days. I handle attendance and grades and sometimes an stuck in my office an entire day and the only students I see are those who seek me out.

Speaking to students, even if to just say hi is something I want to implement in my every day routine. Even if I have to schedule certain times of the day to go make my rounds and be able to visit with them.

Bree,

The best solution to this challenge is the one you mentioned, making rounds. I like to get out of my office a few minutes before the students are scheduled to take a break so that I will be out in the hallways or break area to see and greet as many students as possible.

I cannot do this for every break, but I try to make sure I do it once per each shift.

The paperwork to demonstrate to others our accountability is sometimes so overwhelming it seems to cast a dark shadow over why we are here- Creating a bond is a great way to show the truth- that we do care- and get out of the office to reset our internal drives.

I agree and realize that even just stopping and getting lunch in our little cafeteria allows me to interact with the students here

Well said, Ellen!

I try to get out of the office at least twice a day. . .no matter how busy I "think" I am. . .because at the end of the day the students have to always be the main concern.

I admittedly have to force myself to do this some days. . .it's so easy to get bogged down in the piles of paperwork, and then you look up and school is letting out and it's too late.

Sometimes when I first arrive at work I even post a sticky note on the edge of my computer screen that says. . ."GO TALK TO THREE STUDENTS. ANY STUDENTS. RIGHT NOW IS AS GOOD A TIME AS ANY!"

I find that the only way I can stay connected to my students is to make it a point to "get out of my office" if I don't do this I find myself buried in paperwork and never talking to students.

I agree with you that it does not take much to caught up in paperwork and forget what we are really there to do.

I try to do a walk-through to each lab room before I start reading any emails or list's that I may have started for myself. The only thing I check in my calender for appointments.

I have found that everyone looks forward to talking to me in the morning and on days that I am late- they actually comment on it and ask if everything is ok and is there anything they can do to help.

Thanks for the post, Katherine.

The simple act of walking though the labs can be very valuable for both faculty members and administrators. Please keep doing this and encourage your peers to do the same.

Sign In to comment