Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

We have a team that checks into students that all of a sudden quit coming. It seems to have a good effect on retention.

i think someone should call new students within 72 hours of starting just as a friendly reminder that class starts on monday and just wanted to know if you need anything? it might answer some questions why they dont show up the first day

That is what works best for us too as admissions already has a relationship with the student.

ACTUALLY IN MY SCHOOL WE CALL ALL OUR ABSENTEES ON A DAILY BASIS, OR PROMP THEM TO CALL THE SCHOOL IN CASE THEY'RE NOT COMING OR COMING IN LATE, THIS MAKES THEM FEEL THAT YOU REALLY CARE ABOUT THEM AND REALLY WANT THEM IN SCHOOL.

Raymond--

Great! This really does let the student know you noticed they weren't there...all of us want to know we matter and this is a great way of showing that is true.

Susan

I agree too, our instructors always call students every time they miss school, but the admissions department play an important roll during the first weeks of school.At our campus we maintain that combination, instructors and admissions reps. we work together to increase students retention.

Hi Michael!

The school i teach at requires us to call if the student misses two consecutive days. I kinda like that cause after the second consecutive absence im wondering whats going on with my student and i want to be the first to know!

Hector

Hector--

That's a great process and adds a very personal touch for the student.

Susan

I agree that it's a good idea, however I think that the admissions department should play a larger roll in retention as well. They are usually the first point of contact the school has with the student. If the student is having doubts, or not attending consistently, then it might be a good idea for the admissions rep to follow up with them to discuss any potential barriers.

Faculty is an excellent resource for this and it makes sense since they will be the major point of retention going forward.

As the Admissions Director of a small private college I am constantly asking Faculty how the new and returning students are doing. I generally begin inquiring around mid-term however by reading the comments in this forum I see the importance of following up on students early. Working in admissions and spending so much time getting to know the students before they begin the program makes it difficult when they don't make it. I see the importance of getting the entire school faculty and staff involved with identifying retention flags.

I work for an Online school and my admission team continues calling all the up to start day. Then as needed by Student advisors if they become non responsive.

Sign In to comment