Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ice breakers

It is very important to break the ice in activities like this one. The students will start to lower their stress level and the motivation will increase.

It is more fun to hang out with friends thus anything that can be done to make the classroom and school feel like a group of friends doing something together will improve the student experience.

Val--

Excellent observation. Do you utilize any specific tactics to encourage this?

Susan

i have a beach ball in my room and i have the students try to keep it in the air for 10 min.by hitting it to each other this teaches them team work and also get them to know one another.

John--

Great idea! And it is somewhat random so everyone gets involved! It sets a very great tone in your classroom as well.

Susan

I use ice breakers with all my new students every new start. New students are very uncomfortable when they first come back to school after being out for many years. Also in college when you have a variety of all ages and backgrounds it helps to get them connected and to createa good enviroment for learning. Ice breakers help me to learn things about my students that I would not know otherwise they also help the students become comfortable with me as their instructor. We create a good teacher student bond from day one.

Its is good to let the student know its a team effert to complete the program and sharing work experiance the first day helps open dialog.

Ice breakers are a great way to loosen up the students and it also allows them to interact.

I get the students late into the game they are about eight courses or so in to their training. However even in the class room ice breakers are important on the first day. I also feel it is important that the teacher gets involve with these games or activities. A lot of the time the teacher is the new one to the group and this helps to show the students that they are important enough or that you care enough to want to belong.

Robert--

Your point about faculty participation in the ice breaker is important. Allowing the students to know us as well as our getting to know them goes a long way.

Susan

On the first day of class, I do what I call Meet and Greet. I have each student stand up, give their name, where they work, if they work, and why they disided to attend this school. This helps me get to know their names, what they like doing, and the job they have, and most of all, the reason they desided to attend this school to begin with, and to remind them of that reason if they start to slip. I also let them know my name and the places that I have worked, and that there is work available to them, if they apply themselfs.

I use many ice breakers in Career Development! I have students do fear cards and also fill out cards with commonalities on them.

Yes, I agree. One of the best things to do is ask each student to share something about themselves. I will offer something about myself to get the discussion started - I believe this is really helpful.

Laura--

How do you use the fear cards?

Susan

In addition to meeting and greeting, I tell a story about myself when I attended college and put everyone at ease. I also get a student who knows the history of the university tyo talk about the uniqueness of their experience.

Tiffany

Tiffany--

I really like the fact you use so many students in your orientation.

Susan

Ice breakers are definitely a great way to start off the class. I always have them share about themselves, their work, and their chosen career field. I also share how I got into the field of psychology and add humor to break the ice.

On the first day of class, I too conduct a meet and greet. I try to make the activity as fun as possible, so I inform the students to tell a secret about themselves that nobody knows. I would start off by giving my background introduction, and then begin to mention my secret; which turns out to be me having eleven toes. Of course, they find that hilarious, and begin to feel a little more comfortable about who I am as a person.

I'm in the same boat - by the time the students get to my class they are 8 months into the program and know each other pretty well. Still I explain that I want to know them all, so we go through introductions.

Eva--

This is a difficult position. Do you use any different tactics so that they learn something new about each other and/or to make it less 'routine'?

Susan

Sign In to comment