Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The line between?

Where is the line between Instructor help and carrying the students? Is there such a thing as too much help?

I would say there is...obviously, if the instructor is doing the work for them, that's not a helpful situation. At the end of the day, students will be required to do the tasks on the job where they will need to understand how to do it independently. In the classroom is the place they get to practice mastering the skill, which means their will be mistakes and the instructor is their to facilitate their learning.

It is important that we give them as many opportunities to learn the information in an environment that supports them without doing the work for them the entire time.

Susan

I do all I can to help students with their problems. From lending them tools or advice when they are dealing with car problems. Personal problems, I give them advice if I have the qualification or expertise with that problem, if not I point them in the right direction. It is very important when helping them is not to take on their problems and maintain that distance from getting too involved with their personal life.

I also have found that the line between help and carrying the student is different for each student's situation, and what might be too much for one is not enough for the next student. It seems to be a learning process for staff and faculty as well.

Every instructor should take it as a personal challenge to take ownership of the success of every student. That includes time outside of class to tutor, designing alternate assessments to target preferred learning styles, and accomodations for students with documented IEPs such as extended time, removed distractors or test reading.

Maureen--

That is the key, to provide the level of support necessary for each individual student. We need to take them from where they are to where they need to be. Progress is measured individually.

Susan

I feel it is the instructors responsibility to give students the tools and to show them how to use the tools but not to do the work for them. This would include some trial and error on the part of the student with correction and feedback from the instructor.

Judy--

Great point. We definitely do NOT want to do the work for them. We won't be there when they are employed and their supervisor certainly won't do their work for them either. The classroom should be the place to make those 'errors' in an environment that is focused on helping them master the skills.

Susan

I find that you need to be in tune with the physical cues that they will give. adjust your style and questions. If they dont understand, try to think of another way to explain instead of saying the same thing over and over and both the student and teacher getting frustrated. remember that different people learn in different ways. we have have to use all the tools available to us to be the best we can be.

I think it is different from student to student,in alot of cases they have to do the task over and over just to feel comfortable and confident with help befor they will attempt it alone.But I have seen students read the instuctions and go at and do just fine with no help,they just require a atta boy.If they don't have a clue and can do it in the end alone I don't think it is carrying the student.

Michael--

You make a great point. Students are all different and need different levels of support. Our job in education is to help students learn the skills they need in the work place. That requires us to spend more time with some students than others.

Susan

yes there is', when a teacher goes beyond the duties of her responsibility as a teacher meaning giving student more information than she should, she is enabling the student,which is not a goog thing

There is a fine line....
The instructor who does not challenge his students and moves them out of the way and takes over on even the simplest tasks has crossed the line and is now carrying the student to a good grade!

sometimes the focus is shifted more towards grade rather than ability. This leads the students into a false sense of accomplishment. When the graduate with a 4.0 average can not do what is expected of them in the work place every one fails.

It seems we are talking about two sides of the same coin. I work at an automotive learning facility. My job as an instructor is to not only deliver the material in as many ways as needed for a student to understand and learn, but to also instruct how or even show how to accomplish something in lab. If at the end of the day the student can accomplish said task on his own then I have done my job. I don't consider this carrying a student. The student is paying for training, if he gets through the course without learning how to complete a task, I have let him down. When he gets out in the real world of flat rate, he will then appreciate the fact that I took my job seriously and made him do things over until he got it right. The line you speak of between teaching and carrying a student is never straight or even clear. If at the end of training he can stand on his own and complete whatever task you ask of him, everyone wins.

Thomas--

You make very good points. Students are paying us to teach them, which may involve showing them multiple times...but defintely requires they be able to do it themselves in the end.

Susan

I feel the same way to a point. I always make the student take the first step, to show me they really do want to succeed. On day one I let them know I will give them all I have to help them get the most from the course but they need to ask me for it. There have been times, with a struggling student, that I have pulled them aside to ask them to stay for tutoring or ask them are you sure there is nothing I can help you with? but once they commit to the help so do I.

Michael--

Great process. Yes, it is up to the students to make the effort. Sometimes they are shy about asking for help...for a variety of reasons. It is wonderful that you notice and take the first step when needed.

Susan

What is a shame, is that there are instructors that don"t carry students , but push them thru with a minimum grade, thinking that it is a nice thing to do for the student if they try hard.
Student looses alot of information and understanding of the knowledge for which they will need in the feild.

Sure you can do too much. The student needs to get several chances to complete a task before you step in and actualy walk them through it.They have to understand that if they do the task without your help the grade will be higher also.

Sign In to comment