Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Orientation beyond one day

I am really interested in getting input on how to extend orientation beyond a one day event and extending it over several weeks, I think most students are overwhelmed with the amount of information presented at orientation and forget a lot of the information, has anyone tried this method?

There were some excellent best practices noted in some of the discussion threads. Off the top of my head, several institutions have an ongoing orientation of sorts. Tactics include a meeting with faculty and/or advisors (depending on how you are structured) after the first week to review how things are going and touch bases. One school director has regular meetings with groups of students to 'take their temperature' of sorts--what do they like, what are their frustrations, etc.

Susan

I will review some of the other discussion threads, but I like some of the ideas you have presented. Thanks.

You might want to think of setting up a Saturday orientation, it could be done two saturdays after the first official orientation. Offered to the students who missed the first one.

Excellent point. Depending on the number of new students you have beginning classes, alternative orientation dates are always good. With busy lives it is not always possible to attend on a single day and time.

Susan

Susan

Im relaly interestesd in start doing "orientaion day" in my school, How long you think should last the orientation? I think a whole day its too much. How about 2 to 4 hours? In our school we do Students Representatives Meetings every 5 weeks. In this meetings we talk with a representative of each class about their concerns, needs, suggestions and requests. This reunions provide us feedback abouts their satisfaction with the services that our school offer to the students and constantly we are improving our services.

Digna--

The most effective orientations are typically in the 2-4 hour range as you have indicated. The length will largely be determined on what all you want to cover and accomplish. Of course, if you incorporate the interactive portions and require them to move about at all, you will need to plan adequate time for that as well.

I really like the Student Representatives Meetings you hold. These are excellent ways to keep a strong flow of communication going back and forth and to allow students to feel ownership in their institution.

Keep up the good work!

Perhaps there could be orientation checkpoints throughout the term where people have to log into Discussion board. Or a sequence of orientations from one session to the next just like classes have.

There are so many aspects to the collegiate experience that needs regular communication and knowledge dispensed. There are so many questions and remember that many students have so much thrown at them quickly, they tend to forget about half or more of what they have heard the first time around. I am all in favor of helping any student with their questions and reasonable requests. I always tell my students that I am available for support and information long after they have taken my class.

Jim--

This is an excellent point...whatever we 'tell' them in orientation is not necessarily retained. Some others have implemented some intriguing processes to help with this including a 're-orientation' in week 2 or 3.

Your comment, however, made me think about how important it is to make sure all faculty (especially those teaching classes with new students) are completely aware of the information we cover so they can help to reinforce this.

Susan

That's an excellent idea!!

A saturday orientation would be effective for those who missed the first one. Orientation is very important for students becouse it welcomes them into the institution.

Lakesiha--

You make an excellent point about varying the time and day of orientations to best address student needs. This, of course, depends on the structure of your classes. If you require students to be there every day during the day, then it is much more reasonable to hold an orientation during that time. However, if you have extremely flexible class scheduling and students are able to take their coursework at varying times and days, then holding an orientation on the weekends is a great idea.

Susan

Yes I think this is a great ideal because it gives the student a better to susceed in school

Sign In to comment