Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Orientation

Has anyone tried holding orientation in conjunction with the first day of class? Would this not make it easier too have new students interact with current students, staff and faculty?

Michael--

In one of the other discussion threads, there was a discussion from another institution that is currently holding orientation on the first day of classes.

It is easier to involve faculty and students, for sure. There are some down sides as well...students can have a more difficult time finding parking, and faculty and staff are ususally busy with the 'normal' first day of class activities as well. Of course, the other point is to eliminate all together the 'first day jitters' that can be extremely intimidating for new students. Holding an orientation prior gets them familiar with the layout, 'rules' and other issues. It also provides them with a time that is typically less stressful for faculty and staff so they can create that important bond.

We have one 10-month program with only one start date per year so I don't know if this will help you. However, we start our 3-day orientation on a Wednesday, the week before classes actually start. At that time, all of our faculty are back on regular office hours and are ready to roll and our students are all moved to our area and ready to go as well. Our orientation is actually a mandatory part of our program, so technically, the first day of orientation is the first day of school. It is not the first day of classes. This gives us a chance to break the ice, go over all the rules etc. before they actually go to class. By that first class day, they already know the routine and feel as though they fit in. They start their classes with their minds on class.

I've seen both ways of doing orientation; on the first day of class and before classes begin. I will say that it is more relaxed to do orientation before the first day of class and it provides the students with an evironment where it is easier to interact with staff and other new students. Student are also more focued on the non-academic information that you are providing to them. If it is done on the first day of class you feel rushed to get through everything so the students can get down to business and work and the students may not meet all of the key personnel at the college due to them having to attend to other commitments.

I think it would depend on the size of the school. Our school has way too much going on the first day to include an orientation as well.
We hold orientation the Thursday before classes begin. It typically lasts for about 3.5 hours.

Beth--

I agree. Ideally, orientation is held prior to the first day of classes. Things are pretty hectic then for everyone. And, the point of orientation as discussed in this class at least, is to get students comfortable and acclimated before classes begin. That way, they are more prepared to begin focusing on the educational aspects rather than 'learning the ropes'.

Susan

Kane--

I agree...the ideal time is prior to classes. That gets them more comfortable and familiar with what will happen during class--and then they can focus on course content rather than learning the 'ropes'.

A 3.5 hour orientation sounds extensive. What types of things do you cover during that time?

Susan

I think that that is a good idea Michael. I think that you could structure it so that it would work. You know one of the things that I saw here that I liked was the idea of having an activity that is school wide (a cook out or something) during the first week to give students a sense of fun and belonging. Ease the pressure of the whole new thing.

Michael--

These types of activities do provide a 'family' atmosphere and they are also very enjoyable for faculty and staff. Everyone gets to interact with each other in very different and more informal ways.

Susan

This is a good idea but he will take to much time

Sign In to comment