Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Successful Students

To ensure students success, try not to be more of a friend than an instructor. That line is easy to cross when try to gather information to what the students need inside and outside of the classroom

I agree that you should not try to be thier friend but you can be some one that they can confide in. You can be professional and still be there for your students.

I agree. Professionalism is not only best but the key to a part of their success

Yes, it is. I am trying to become more knowledgeable about resources (personnel) here at the school that may be able to assist them in the areas I am unable to. I try to focus on the mentorship and tutoring however, I become knowledgeable about personal aspects of their lives and must be consistent in how I treat the information as the perception other students have is one of favoritism if I display any interest. Must have intact boundaries!

You can be kind and endearing to your students and still remain professional

I agree completely that is a fine line and some instructors cross it.

Juwana,

Agreed. It is important to note that there is a difference between being supportive and being their 'friend'. We are mentors.

Susan Backofen

Good boundries need to be set by the instructors that is maintained for all students.

We are here to teach them, make it interesting for them but must remember we art their teachers not the buddies.

By doing this when we have to have a firm talk with them about their education it will keep it on a professional level.

I think your wording on this is wonderful.

We also need to remind ourself what it is like to be the student, we all have a favorit teacher that we still remember because of how they taught us.

Bonnie,

Excactly! Mentors are different than buddies. Just like supervisors are different as well.

Susan Backofen

Sign In to comment