Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student Unrealistic Expectations

How do you manage a student's unrealistic expectations?

Deborah,

I think it is important to clearly state the 'real' expectations up front and be consistent. Do you have a specific example?

Susan Backofen

Each applicant meets with the Placement Department to discuss retention/placement percentages for the program they are enrolled into. The applicant is also given an opportunity to sit in classes and meet with instructors before starting class.

I agree that it's very important to set the "real" expectations upfront. Our department makes it's first impression at orientation day. As a department we set the expectations regarding externship since that is when we see the dropouts.

Deborah,

This is a wonderful format. It sets the right expectations, provides interaction with the faculty and gives them a 'real feel' for the classroom!

Susan Backofen

I don't have an answer, however, I also struggle with students with unrealistic expectations. I find that some students believe that since they are "paying a lot of money" for their education, they will be handed test answers on a silver platter.

It sometimes takes a while before they understand that passing my class with an A because of test question answers does not translate into passing the state licensing exam that allows them to get a job.

It is frustrating!!

Catherine,

This has a been a growing concern for some time now. Having children of my own, I see how the K-12 system sometimes sets up this expectation. When we were in school, you handed in things on time and got whatever grade you earned the first time on a test. Now it seem common place for extensions and make-up tests. However, this is not the 'real world' so having them learn this hard reality in our institutions is a good lesson.

Susan Backofen

I am honest wth the students in expectations of the workforce for their field of choice. Students should not have an unrealistic picture painted for them. It does not set them up for success.

natarsha ,

I agree. Having worked in Career Services for a time, I know that many soon-to-be graduates were very unrealistic about the working conditions and compensation.

Susan Backofen

Sign In to comment