Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Positive Reinforcement

I find that positive reinforcement goes far with my students!

Ms. Lopes, I feel the same way. This is especially true when you have previously had to make a comment to that student that might have been not so positive, but encouraging. Then, the next time the student attempts to make a better choice, then really strong use of positve reinforcement can make a difference to that student. For example, I have student's write short answer questions on exams. I judiciously grade them, correcting grammer, spelling, and sentence construction. I reassure that student that I can see potential in them, but that their writing style needs to be improved. This may take a couple of attempts, but as I continue to offer positve feedback, their writing does improve. By the way, I do not consider myself to be an English teacher, but getting students interested in producing a sentence that is well written and expresses what they are trying to do in the way of communicating with others, is one of my joys in teaching. Positive feedback is very useful in achieving this goal for student accomplishment, which leads hopefully, to retaining that student.

Richard,

Excellent! We all need to work on that--written, verbal, non-verbal communication. And with the technology now available, that requires a different manner of communication, it is increasingly important to work with students on the appropriate use of writing and verbal communications skills. I have found this to be an increasing problem and more and more individuals have a difficult time writing and spelling. Glad you are helping on this front!

Susan Backofen

I hear a lot of my older student's saying, "I'm too old for this, my brain won't get it". I have to stop them right in their track and let them know, if you think your gonna fail, you will fail. We don't want any of those negative thought in our heads. There are grandmothers out there in there 60's going back to school and passing their classes. You how are only in your 30's and 40's will be able to pass your classes. Also if you need help with any class, the DON and the professor are here and will to help you. once they take that out of their mind and know that, "hey the staff here is really willing to help me out". That calms some of their fear.

Dayna,

Great! This is very common with the adult students and it is wonderful that you are making them confront those thoughts right away.

Susan Backofen

Adding positive reinforcement is a win for everyone the class as a whole will move toward a set goal and they look out for one another. i find that it also sets up a good experance for them as well

Thomas,

What types of things do you plan to provide these positive experiences? Do you have specific activities in the first few weeks that help to build their confidence?

Susan Backofen

I hear the same thing in my classes. students who are in their 20's or 30's and rather go out on weekends than do homework. but the older students, tend to focus on his or her assignemnts and always ask so many questions, just so they be "knowledgable". It is so wierd.

I am an instructor in a culinaryschool. Many times it is the first time a student has made a particular recipe, sometimes it does no come out right. I remind them that it is OK to make mistakes, learn from them. The next time it will come out correct.

Brenda,

They say we learn more from our mistakes than we do from our successes--seems that we just have trouble convincing ourselves of that. It is wonderful that you reinforce the learning opportunity from these situations.

Susan Backofen

I teach intro PSY and am a firm believer in the power of positive reinforcement as a method to maintain and increase desired behavior as it relates to the classroom and successful course completion.

I agree. spmetimes students feel they are going to fail if the first time they do poorly. Its our job to reassure students we all make mistakes and it does not make us failures. We all learn by mistakes.

I agree with you about reminding students that they are in fact learniong and its ok if a particular recipe does not trun our as long as they understand why it didnt

edward,

True! Learning WHY things didn't happen as planned is extremely important. Sometimes it even works out great!

Susan Backofen

Sign In to comment