Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Is it positive or negative to include surveys, tests or paperwork?

I heard orientation should be fun and interactive, but at the same time we want to have things done. Would a test, survey or paperwork create a negative effect in the motivation of the prospective students?

Pablo--

Some institutions have made it a 'game' of sorts by having the students move from station to station or office to office to learn more about what's available and other important information. You defintely don't want to set up a situation where students feel they can fail (e.g. a test/quiz), but completing some type of paperwork is one way to get a feel for how much of the information they have acquired.

Susan

I agree it is a good time to get some important information while you have everyone together, but you have to keep it fun and light

Orientation is very important for a smooth and successful commencement of the learning experience. Some students come in thinking it is a waste of time, only to subsequently not be familiar with basic fundamentals regarding services available or policies and procedures. As an faculty member at a virtual campus, it is very frustrating to have students begin class without their taking the time to be oriented to the virtual campus, read the course syllabus, review course requirements and expectations, etc. While I do not feel a test or quiz in order, I do feel students need to recognize as of day one a personal responsibility and accountability for their eventual success.

Marshall--

You are so right. Virtual students are sometimes more lax as they think either it will be easier or they will quickly 'figure it out'. Unfortunately, often neither is true. I think Admissions and advising can help sigificantly by stressing the need for them to be really prepared to 'hit the ground running'.

Susan

I think that depend of the information you are trying to collect in the survey

Pablo
I believe that including test or paperwork is not going to be any negative on student, we as instructors need to know how much they have learned as well as they do.

Keep it light but games like people bingo where the students fine out what they have in commomn with each other while you as the instructor find out what is the experince level of the class are fun at the same time giving the instructor usefull informatiom.

Robert--

This sounds great...can you give me more details on what people bingo is?

Susan

Sign In to comment